Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What high-quality 90mm lens for Intrepid 4x5 and Chamonix 45H-1?

Re: What high-quality 90mm lens for Intrepid 4x5 and Chamonix 45H-1?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    I doubt that many of us have done this exercise with lenses that meet the requirements you now think you have. If any of us have -- more power to their arms -- none of them will have your standards so what they have to say won't help you. You'd best test for yourself.
    I agree completely. I've always tested my lenses as soon as I get them. But you have to have something to compare it to, so having more than one lens gives you a starting point -- even if they aren't of the same focal length. I've only sold one of my lenses because it just didn't "hold up" to my other lenses' quality test results. It might have just been a "bad apple", or that lens just might not be as well designed/put together, etc. But the replacement met my needs. All it cost me was some time, and perhaps a little money.

The only other lens I have sold was not because of results/abilities. I sold it because of size/weight issues. So there are a lot of ways to "test" a lens, a lot of reasons to make a switch to a differernt lens, and these will vary for each of us.
    Last edited by xkaes; 3-Jul-2017 at 08:02.

Huub

By the way: be aware that the f5.6 90mm SA XL is not a good fit when you have to use it on a linhof board: the rear element is too big for the hole.
    When Schneider noticed the problem they changed the design of this lens so that it is possible to unscrew the metal protective flange at the back of the rear element: the element may then be inserted in the hole and the lens used as normal. However one has to be very careful to avoid scratching the glass of the rear element when the protective flange is removed. All new 90mm XL Super Angulon lenses have a removable rear flange, but if buying a second-hand lens, ensure that it is has this feature.

I'd recommend the Nikkor SW 90mm f8. Multicoated, smaller size, very sharp. Comes in a modern Copal shutter. The only reason I'd go with the f4.5 version of the same lens would be if you expect to do a lot of shooting in low light situations.

Does the Linhof Schneider 90mm Angulon f6.8 require a bag bellows? I'm using a Sinar F.

Another consideration is that some of the faster lenses (Rodenstock 90/4.5, I believe, and some versions of Schneider 90/5.6) come in #1 shutters rather than the usual #0. This could be a problem if you intend to use a small (e.g. Technika-style) recessed lens board.
    I've got a 90/5.6 SA factory mounted in an all black Compur 1. Coverage, optical construction etc. are supposed to be the same as the ones in #0 shutters so I'm not sure why this variation was offered, but they're out there.

Many thanks for all these great answers and suggestions. As I´m also shootong landscapes in low-light conditions a faster lens will be more favorable, despite the higher weight. The Grandagon-N 90 4.5 seems like a good choice. Would you think I can use this lens with a non-recessed lens on an Intrepid camera? Here in Germany is right now a good opportunity with Prontor Professional 1S shutter:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/RODENSTOCK-GR...gAAOSwq1NZgykt

Drew Wiley

I have a Nikon 90/4.5. It's a great lens, but awfully bulky and heavy for a lightwt wood folder, esp if you add a center filter. I use it on my Sinar monorails, but not on my Ebony folder, which is one of the most rigid in the wood category. I'd recommend the f/8 Nikor instead.