Thread: 2nd pass prints, redeveloped, reimagined

2nd pass prints, redeveloped, reimagined

This thread is for printed paper images processed beyond the initial pass of Dev/stop/Fix/wash. Whether you use bleach+redevelop, or multiple toners, 2nd pass lith, waxing, or some other alternative treatment to achieve a certain look, I'd like to see examples and hear about your process. There are articles and discussions about these 2nd pass processes but very few examples. Discussion encouraged.

Here is an example of my latests experiments trying to add a warmer brown tone to my images without using Selenium, Thiourea or other poly toners.

Bleached almost fully with Pot-Ferri bleach until faint image remains and is tan in color, then redeveloped fully using Pyrocat M 5:5:500 . 5-10minutes.
    On Ilford MGFB Classic the Pyrocat M stains the paper slightly and shifts the overall color toward brown (not magenta, not red-brown, maybe toward olive-brown).
    I have repeated this process several times now with different bleaches and developers and this combo yields consistently pleasing results.
    There is even a small gain in sharpness to the print in some cases, but also loss of DMax in darkest tones which tends to open up the shadows.
    Note: my scanner exaggerates the effect, so I had to try to pull it back in to make it more like the actual tonal differences.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Re: 2nd pass prints, redeveloped, reimagined

Interesting and different!

Thanks for posting examples.

When I was silver printing, I would only selenium tone. My favorite warm-toned paper was Portriga Rapid III. I would carefully tone to get rid of the greenish tinge and stop before it went to purple. I was left with a slight reddish tone to the warmth of the paper. Ilford Gallerie I would tone to completion -- a slight increase in contrast and a neutral tone. Been a few decades.

I did make one image where I took several 7"x19" prints and bleached them back to a very faint image, then redeveloped in Dektol -- painting on the Dektol with a brush. It was a lot of fun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3xSnag.jpg  
    Last edited by Vaughn; 2-Jul-2019 at 09:23.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    When I was silver printing, I would only selenium tone. My favorite warm-toned paper was Portriga Rapid III. I would carefully tone to get rid of the greenish tinge and stop before it went to purple. I was left with a slight reddish tone to the warmth of the paper. Ilford Gallerie I would tone to completion -- a slight increase in contrast and a neutral tone. Been a few decades.

I did make on image where I took several 7"x19" prints and bleached them back to a very faint image, then redeveloped in Dektol -- painting on the Dektol with a brush. It was a lot of fun.
    That's cool!
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    That's cool!
    Thanks -- each print represents several hours of playing with the brush and dektol -- rebleaching if I went too far (especially if the white sky started to pick up some tone.)
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China