Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SF Bay Area, Fall 2017 - opportunity for get-togethers/demos/panel talk

Re: SF Bay Area, Fall 2017 - opportunity for get-togethers/demos/panel talk

Hello again.

The director of PhotoCentral (Geir Jordahl) will be having H.A.R.D. set up enrollment for the workshop. I imagine he will need to wait to Monday to get the ball rolling and I do not know how long it will take.

Sorry, but I am not allowed to set up any type of waiting list or hold openings for anyone.

I will post an up-date on Monday evening on workshop registration. Tuesday I will take off on a much-delayed backpacking trip -- continuing a project photographing along Redwood Creek (Redwood National Park) with my 4x5 -- hopefully I'll have some carbon prints from this project to show everyone (but I have larger negatives calling me, too!)

FYI:

Oakland is the nearest airport.
    This hotel has been recommended -- within walking distance of PhotoCentral. http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hot...WHX/index.html
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Vaughn, will we need to bring any negatives? Can you enlarge for Carbon or is it contact printing? Forgive my ignorance, that's why I need to take this workshop! L

Carbon printing is contact printing only using UV light.

I will have someone available to produce inkjet negatives from digital files the participants have. He'll use the curves he has developed to match the tissue we'll be making for the workshop. Exactly what will be required as far as a file, I'll be letting people know later when I talk to the experts on that.

I personally print from camera-made negatives -- up to 11x14, but as small as a negative from a Diana Camera (1.75" square). Negatives should have a large density range...2.2 or higher.

Vaughn
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Ok, so should we bring some 8x10 negatives, or don't have to bring anything at all? I don't have digital files, only real negatives! If I need to scan them, pls advise. L

Congrats Vaughn on the artist in residence. Count me in on the workshop, I live about 4 blocks away and use their darkroom. I couldn't find where to register yet on the Hayward rec website...

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Ok, so should we bring some 8x10 negatives, or don't have to bring anything at all? I don't have digital files, only real negatives! If I need to scan them, pls advise. L
    'Real' 8x10 negatives will be fine! If you can print them in silver gelatin, they do not have enough contrast. If you cannot print them with platinum because they have too much contrast -- they'll be great for carbon. That may or may not help you! As a real rough general rule, I double my development times to get the negatives I want for carbon printing (starting with a scene with lots of contrast to begin with).

But we should have access to a scanner for 8x10 (Epson 750 or something like that), so we should be able to scan negatives up to 8x10 and then print out a digital negative. I'll know more about the digital requirements and what is possible in a couple of weeks. As I said, this is jumping the gun a little and I will be meeting with my digital master/assistant for the workshop the week of July 17th, and we'll hammer out all the details then about negative and digital file needs.

Vaughn

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Vaughn, if you wish I'll be there to assist. Kind of like the workshop I took with you so many years ago. Do you know if there is anywhere I can park the motorhome?
    Since its on a weekend you may be able to park it right there in the parking lot. Check with Geir.

I was able to register today. Setting up the account was super easy, called Hayward Area Recreation and Park District and they set the account in just a few minutes. I was then able to register online immediately.

Roger

Excellent news! There are plenty of LF people around. I have fond memories of the workshop I did with you at PhotoCentral years ago. I'll connect with our Meetup group when you have more solid dates for the talks and such.

Thanks for the news Roger. I had forgotten to take the Fourth of July Weekend into consideration!

Looking forward to seeing you!

Vaughn