Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8x10 to 11x14 back

Re: 8x10 to 11x14 back

Quote Originally Posted by stawastawa View Post
    I think what Tim says is best. if you don't have the large back, you need to make a large back. You could probably mount the 8x10 back on the 11x14 as a reducing back fairly easily though.
    I have an 8x10..I have two 8x10's even... I don't need an 11x14 that shoots 8x10

maybe I'm not getting it..maybe it is tougher than I though (probably)

I already have an 8x10 back that had been sitting in a box 20+ years

my idea was to take a chop saw and cut the back frame.. and then the GG frame into 4 pieces... quarter it in fact

and then use those four pieces as the 'corners' of a 11x14 back and frame....but cutting wood middle sections and gluing them into place....thereby maintaining all the proper measurements and tolerances of the original frame in a new 11x14 size- - the middle 'cut in' pieces would not need to be super critical as long as they aren't ..taller.. than the original pieces

Quote Originally Posted by DrTang View Post
    I have an 8x10..I have two 8x10's even... I don't need an 11x14 that shoots 8x10

maybe I'm not getting it..maybe it is tougher than I though (probably)

I already have an 8x10 back that had been sitting in a box 20+ years

my idea was to take a chop saw and cut the back frame.. and then the GG frame into 4 pieces... quarter it in fact

and then use those four pieces as the 'corners' of a 11x14 back and frame....but cutting wood middle sections and gluing them into place....thereby maintaining all the proper measurements and tolerances of the original frame in a new 11x14 size- - the middle 'cut in' pieces would not need to be super critical as long as they aren't ..taller.. than the original pieces
    If the pieces you insert are lower don't you invite the possibility of light leaks? I think if you dealing with very large and expensive pieces of film, everything needs to be as well crafted as possible.

Have Richard Ritter make one for you.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Hey, Doc...

One issue you will need to deal with is the springs to hold the holder tight against the back. Chances may be that they are not strong enough for 11x14.

And I still think that you could find an old trashed 11x14 back far cheaper than the cost of an 11x14 holder, but the challenge to stretch out the 8x10 would be fun!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Key View Post
    If the pieces you insert are lower don't you invite the possibility of light leaks? I think if you dealing with very large and expensive pieces of film, everything needs to be as well crafted as possible.
    I'd fix that with cardstock or something... the film holder would ride on the original 8x10 back's wood mostly and if the patches are slightly shorter.. that would be okay as long as they are light tight... and the wood frame of the film holder would be covering it anyway..so.. chances are it wouldn't be an issue

I can see that working. keeping it ridgid might be tough. I like the first visualization I just got of the corners held together with rods... maybe even on extendable rods then it could be a multi format holder! (minus the light leak problem that presents...)
    Using the extra back for measurements and building a solid 11x14 back seems more straightforward, but as Vaughn said - "sounds like a good challenge!".
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail

the advantage being the GG panel to frame dimension is already set..
    Is the 11x14 filmholder of the same thickness than the 8x10 holder, so that the film would come into the same plane?
    Ritchie

Quote Originally Posted by plaubel View Post
    Is the 11x14 filmholder of the same thickness than the 8x10 holder, so that the film would come into the same plane?
    Ritchie
    Nope. They're different: 0.260 (8x10) vs. 0.332 (11x14).