Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: portable metronome/timer

portable metronome/timer

It's occassionally difficult to look at the watch and at the same time ensure that wind movement isn't present during exposures. Is anyone using some kind of a timer or portable metronome that beeps on every second? I'm referring to one used in the field, not darkroom. I know of one used for music practice but I'm looking for a better (or simplier) alternative. Thanks!

portable metronome/timer

You can use a Palm device. There are free software for timming, alarms and other utilities. I find StopClock useful for darkroom processing and other applications. Hope this helps,

portable metronome/timer

I'd suggest you paid a visit to a musical instruments shop, they should have the metronome you need. I'm not sure what you're referring to as a darkroom metronome, but if you mean a wooden one with a needle swaying from side to side, you'll be surprised how easy to use and portable the electronic ones are. I searched briefly and came across two, which I doubt are that big.
    http://www.rideaumusic.com/product-188485
    http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/068153/details.html
    In addition to the plain 60 beats per minute, you might find one with an adjustable beat helpful. Mine's not very portable, but I bought it for playing music and now use it in a darkroom. Three beats a second with emphasis on the first makes being exactly on the point easier. Your ear will intuitively make use of a "too fast" tempo so you don't need to worry if you can count 180 bpm.

blanco_y_negro

portable metronome/timer

Aaron,
    Although I don't need/use one in the field, I know there are electronic metronomes that provide all kinds of beat. They are very small, about the size of a credit card, so you can easliy slip one into your shirt pocket. Cheers..

portable metronome/timer

For long exposures more than about a minute, I use an electronic stopwatch. It beeps a lot when the time has expired so you don't have to stare at it constantly. If you get one, be sure it has a countdown timer--they don't all have that feature. I got this one and it works well. It doesn't have a built-in light to see the numbers in the dark, but I just use my headlmap for that.

portable metronome/timer

Aaron, my mobile (cell) phone has a stopwatch built in which I have used in the past. Alternatively Pattersons Triple Timer http://www.adorama.com/PATT.html is a handy timer in the field or darkroom.

portable metronome/timer

I have a very small metronome that fits in my ear. I purchased it new from an ebay seller. It was fairly cheap, under $20 I think, weighs nothing, and takes no space in the bag. The beats are adjustable.

portable metronome/timer

You can buy one like Emrehan describes for about $15 at almost any musical instrument store. Just make sure you can set it to tick in increments of one second. I have a couple metronomes like this, one I keep in the darkroom to use as a timer when making contact prints by light bulb, the other I carry in my back pocket when photographing.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

portable metronome/timer

Thanks for all the good recommendation. I took a look at all of them. Pretty much the same as those found in music stores in my area. But I appreciate all the response. I think Matt Miller may have what I'm looking for. So matt, I would really appreciate it if you could let me know the brand, model and country of origin. Thanks to all again.

portable metronome/timer

Aaron, I don't have the metronome here in front of me and can't remember the brand name. I did just now google "ear metronome" and came up with lots of links.
    This looks just like the one I have, but there might be a better place to buy one.

Good luck,
    Matt