Thread: Grafmatic 1168

Grafmatic 1168

Are they rare? Can they be used on graflock backs? I just figured out 2 (out of 4) of my grafmtics are 1168 type. Are they supposed to use with graflex SLRs?

Re: Grafmatic 1168

Quote Originally Posted by Songyun View Post
    Are they rare? Can they be used on graflock backs? I just figured out 2 (out of 4) of my grafmtics are 1168 type. Are they supposed to use with graflex SLRs?
    Not sure how rare they are, yes, they are for the Graflex back, as found on Graflex SLRs. They will NOT fit a Graflok back.

Don't just rely on the code on the back, it is important to check that the baseplate is in fact different. Everything else is interchangeable and I have seen some grafmatics with the 1168 code but the graflok baseplate. I assume that at some point they were "updated" from graflex to graflok.

The 1168 version is a lot rarer, at a wild guess maybe 1 - 2% of grafmatics on eBay will be this type. On the other hand there is much less demand since they are mostly used on the Graflex SLRs and (not many) Speed Graphics. You might get a bit more for an 1168 but they aren't greatly more expensive than a regular grafmatic since the supply seems to match the demand. Rare in this case means you might have to wait a few weeks for one to turn up.

If you don't want them you shouldn't have any trouble selling or swapping them.

Paul, I just found out today, when I compared my four grafmatics side by side. ( I haven't used them since I bought these) . Two of these grafmatics have different ridges on the baseplate than the other two. Maybe it's time to consider a Graflex SLR.

Maybe a nice Series D? I've got a working Auto-Graflex but a lot of the older SLRs have broken shutters, many of them are 80 or 90 years old now.

Does anybody know where I can get a Grafmatic 1168? I just purchased an RB Auto Graflex - Series B 4 X 5" Camera, but the film backs are all useless (Poloroid, 4 X 5 roll, and another I have no idea what it is!).
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by RandallConway View Post
    Does anybody know where I can get a Grafmatic 1168? I just purchased an RB Auto Graflex - Series B 4 X 5" Camera, but the film backs are all useless (Poloroid, 4 X 5 roll, and another I have no idea what it is!).
    Thanks!
    I have one somewhere. I have not seen it for some time. I will try and dig it up.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

I have one, but I prefer the bag-mag. If you can find one with decent leather it works better than a Grafmatic and doesn't jam. I like the fact that it holds 12 sheets.
    Michael Cienfuegos

hi everyone, seems too late but anyone still have one of these for sale?. Trying to find one for my Super D