Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keeping scrotes & lowlifes at bay.

Keeping scrotes & lowlifes at bay.

Had a few lowlife types hanging around the other day while I was using the 4x5. They somehow didn't want to go away. I drove off & stopped elsewhere & within a half hour they were there also.
    This time they approached while I was in the process of unloading the camera & tripod. One reached for the camera on the tailgate of the truck while the other was on my other side. I had a container of carb cleaner in the back of the truck & grabbed it & hit the guy with his hand on the tripod in the face. He started screaming & grabbed at his eyes & face and the other guy started swearing & got threatening & I pointed it at him & he backed off.

I know the stuff temporarily blinds you & hurts like fire from having nailed myself while working on the truck a few times & getting it in my eyes. But after about 30 minutes sight came back & there have been no ill effects.

Now I carry a can or two in the truck regularly and add to it the hornet nest spray. The type that you use from 20-30 feet away. I figure these two will incapacitate anyone enough for me to get in and drive away before things can get bad. Seems it would be a lot easier to explain away as 'self defense' than pulling and possibly using a gun on someone.

Any idea of which would be more effective in keeping the scum in check? You don't need a government permit or class to have a can of bug zapper or carb or brake cleaner around.

Good work!

If they had had a gun however it could have been all over for you. I would guess the hornet spray would work as well. The distance those cans shoot is impressive. I also doubt the substance would do lasting damage as the feds no longer allow insecticides with any real danger on the market. The companies who make the stuff would surely insure themselves against lawsuits by those who accidently spray themselves by making the stuff non injurious to the eyes.

As to whether it would have the knock down power that the carb spray had ... put 1/10th of a drop on your cheek under your eye and note the effects. It sure as hell kicks the stuffing out of hornets.

This sort of activity could get your posterior sued into the poor house by the way.

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

I'm just curious, JJ, where were you out photographing when this happened, and how did the low-lives latch onto you?
    Brian Vuillemenot

A city type semi-rural park. One way drive through the area so you don't have much choice as to where to drive.

"This sort of activity could get your posterior sued into the poor house by the way."

Yeah... isn't that great that criminals can get away with that crap!

JJ, I'm glad to hear you're ok!!

One should never forget the blinding power of a well directed strobe. Safe, effective and easy to explain why you were carrying it.

I live in Montana in real bear country. "Bear Spray" is easily available here. It is a pepper spray and has stopped charging grizzlies. I have accidently sprayed myself and it is bad stuff. No one will be looking for a fight after being hit with this. Of course, it is not supposed to be used on people. However, survival knows no law.

There are some very serious issues to consider here. I have a CCW, and carry always. Not to protect my gear but my life. Fortunately I have never been a situation where someone wanted to rip my equipment off. However, if they did want to, I would be in the wrong to pull my gun to stop them.

Likewise the legal and physical ramifications from spraying someone in the eyes with a compound may be worse than the theft of the equipment. If the thief has a gun and pulls it on you in retaliation for the spray, you are in trouble. He most certainly can sue you, causing you a lot of grief and perhaps jail time.

The best solution is to insure your gear, and then let the perp take it. You remain safe, and continue to stand on the right side of the law.

Only if your LIFE is threatened (and in immediate danger) will you be able to justify any form of action against a attacker, be it use of deadly force, or pepper spray.

Please be safe out there, it is far easier to replace a camera, than a life.

S.

What a sorry state of affairs that because of the litigation culture a person/s going about their lawful activities are unable to feel free in our so called democracy. In answer to the above solutions.

As far as I am concerned my photographic equipment IS my life, so any act or threat that I consider is against my person or property is a threat to my life and so a criminal act, consequently I would use any means available, to whatever degree, to effect the purpose of my protection. I have good clean record of work and social responsibility, it is up to the law to back me up!

JJ:

Do yourslef a favor and check out this web site. www.udap.com. I use this stuff and carry the large can which is 9.2 oz. (260 g). This pepper spray is used for Grizzly Bears, and is the only product approved by the Canadian government. The spray is dyed orange and comes out with a huge roar, in a cone shaped spray. It has a range of 30' and at that range the spray covers about an 8' diameter area.

I'm on my second can, and have two buddies in law enforcement who now carry this instead of standard police issue stuff. They swear by it and so do I. I've had to use it on pairs of dogs...big ones in the 100 lb. range that attacked me. It dropped them like a hot rock...and is not lethal...just hurts like hell. In Colorado, it is not only legal but it's use is encouraged for people in your type of situation.

In the 'boondocks' I carry my 9mm, in addition to pepper power. With a good professional grade camera insurance policy, and these two items, you're in pretty good shape.

Be safe...stay well. Richard Boulware - Denver.