Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A wise move or a bad one?

A wise move or a bad one?

Hello, I would like to know what is your opinion about this. Should I start participating in photo competitions regularly and add this to my porfolio? Accordin to you, is this a wise or a bad move? Am I going to attract and impress more customers, or there will be no change at all?
    Should it be a competition with an entry fee or without, what is better and why?
    What if it is an online competition?

Re: A wise move or a bad one?

Quote Originally Posted by melanieA View Post
    Hello, I would like to know what is your opinion about this. Should I start participating in photo competitions regularly and add this to my porfolio? Accordin to you, is this a wise or a bad move? Am I going to attract and impress more customers, or there will be no change at all?
    Should it be a competition with an entry fee or without, what is better and why?
    What if it is an online competition?
    spam?

welcome to LFPF.

Pick and choose your contests, but no, they can't hurt and if you win or place, it's a line on your cv. Be wary that some contests have significant entry fees. I would also look at past winners as one way to determine legitimacy (ie-known photographers place or win). Contest placings are currency so it depends on what you want to do with your career.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

An endorsement is only as good as the endorser. Pick carefully, National Geographic for example, and large distribution media outlets. "Picture of the Week" and Picture of the Day" contests seem to have some cred. Check out large publications and enthusiast sites.

Even if you reap no rewards in contests, you may get valuable feedback from a few viewers. That holds especially true for photos posted on this site.

Be aware that "Photo Contests" can be a cash cow for some businesses. Lots of entry fees and few winners. Everyone gets paid but you poor photographers who give them your images. That's right - you GIVE them your images. Check the fine print. Many contests are a way to get low cost and free photographs for advertising later. A few prizes given out and a few hundred thousand dollars saved on paying for images for their future ads.
    State photo contests. AAA contests and others do this.

A good contest run by a reputable publication/museum or organization can be worth it. Any group you whole heartedly support may be worth it. Most are not.

Remember the world is filled with "prize winning photographers" - those who got a ribbon at the local craft show or fair and are now "professional photographers".

Check them out carefully before you take the plunge.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    spam?
    Probably...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

As a general comment about many photo (or art) competitions, I have known many talented artists that submitted some very fine work to various shows, and their final reaction to the process was they were unhappy with the choices the judges made, and felt that there might have been a "political" angle to the award winners, (as the winners had also been hung before in other shows the curator(s) had organized before) so it seems there is a bias towards their "people" (the internet can reveal much these days)...

So the deck can be stacked against someone who is not in the "group", or in a big contest by the sheer # of entries and the massive editing the jurors have to do... And the taste of the judges can often be called into question by their choices when looking at their top choices...

I think it would be best to join a local art group or council, as they will regularly have group shows, and you will be hung regularly at their events, but contests are good way to get off your butt and go through the process of submission, which can help you, but I think that even if Strand or Steiglitz had entered some of these contests, they probably might not get selected for the show anyway...

Small and local is good/big and national will just be an exercise...

Good Luck!!!

Steve K

Thank you for your replies! I recieved the answers I was looking for.

P.S. Even among the nicest communities, there are few people who should always be negative.

perhaps a bit of background about your work etc. to help dispel this feeling some have that you're spam

photos of your cameras are always welcome in the appropriate thread (ULF etc...)
    notch codes ? I only use one film...