Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Importance of Photographs

The Importance of Photographs

I find it interesting the importance people place in photographs, especially the difference in values between older and younger people and their photographs.
    The older, it seems, places a greater value in a physical photograph they can hold in their hands while the younger seem to enjoy a much greater number of images which are, well fleeting. Rapidly scrolled through via an electronic device.

I wonder what this says about the future of photography? No so much the processes, but rather the value that photography brings to the party.)

My daughter just returned from Europe, and I found myself missing the traditional, chronologically organized slide show which were pretty common a few decades ago---it was sort of like accompanying the traveler on his or her adventure. These were a social occasion and there was an effort in making these presentations fun and educational---not boring like television (although Im sure some slide presentations were deadly boring---but that was a rarity at least in my experience.) The best slides would be printed and graced the work cubicles of my office mates, serving as a mini-mental holiday (Egypt, 1970 as one fellow pointed out with a wave of his hand, like a conjuring magician.)
    Now it is much different. One is handed a device of some sort and the pretty pictures are viewed without a chronological narrative although I'm sure the presentation could be edited chronologically, but none of the ones I've seen are.
    In fact, images that appear in a little box on the computer screen seem (are?) Random.

Is this anything you've noticed? What are your thoughts on the matter?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: The Importance of Photographs

Still see many who are faced with short preparation time evacuation gather photo albums and the like to take with them. Fires, earthquakes, tornadoes, etc. Disasters with little warning show what people value and can take with them.

Don't know if younger people value the photo albums and pictures the same as the older generations.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Some people have a book printed of their trip. Pretty cool. Sort of the modern photo album.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I think even older folks are joining the younger ones in that they don't value printed photographs as much - especially those older folks who spend a lot of time on social media. I am close to 60 and spend "0" time on Facebook. My younger brother and sister, both in their mid 50's, spend a lot of their spare time on FB and have hardly any interest in our old family photographs from our childhood. I guess that's why I have all of them.

- but -

I am perhaps a bit of an odd one in that, I even collect old photographs of people I have no relation to. If I am at an antique store or flee market, it is very hard for me to pass on an old photo album of she-box of family photographs. I then try to track down the decedents to see if they are interested in getting the pictures back. I just hate the thought of old family photographs being thrown in the trash.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

A new generation may come along and embrace other values. It happens now and then

Consider the MOST important factor now... That pix are in digitized form on fones/tablets etc... More people are keeping a mass of images now, but less in a printed form... And more people are photographing, but not their few rolls a year back when everyone had to use film... Things will swing different ways and new trends emerge/fade away...

I am presently moving a large collection of photo/art books, and tried to cull down the collection over the recent years, but had little interest as sellers are becoming far and few in-between and have said many less people are buying books, and it's hard for them to sell anything over $60-$80 now, even if it was a classic collector book... Books are a tough sell, but I hope they are "rediscovered"...

I sense that many are starting a "digital burnout" as the stuff they see online is the same value... Just more filler... Nothing solid, just more eye stuff on their screen...

I think that many will return to wanting/having something "real", rather than the sea of images, eye candy, and other "virtual" stuff...

There's hope...

Steve K

1862 - Lincoln was inseparable with this new fangled thing called the "Telegraph"
    2017 - The 45th President is inseparable with this new fangled thing called the "Twitter"

I think the core purpose of viewing photographs remains, how it is used changes.
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

People take more photos than ever, and they carry them around with them in a tiny magic box wherever they go. Why do you think they are valued less because they are not on paper? Also, the images from the "grand tour" abroad can can be arranged in chronological order so much easier and more accurately when they are digital. Tagged with GPS data as well. In the good old times, prints were usually unmarked or at best "the whole bunch last weekend at our place"...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael E View Post
    People take more photos than ever, and they carry them around with them in a tiny magic box wherever they go. Why do you think they are valued less because they are not on paper? Also, the images from the "grand tour" abroad can can be arranged in chronological order so much easier and more accurately when they are digital. Tagged with GPS data as well. In the good old times, prints were usually unmarked or at best "the whole bunch last weekend at our place"...
    Not less value, only different.

"Also, the images from the "grand tour" abroad can can be arranged in chronological order so much easier and more accurately when they are digital. Tagged with GPS data as well."

I agree, but in my own observations, they aren't!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I should add that older people aren't void of technology. It used to be that when grand parents got together, wallets would be drawn and an accordion of plastic bearing the snaps of the lil' darings would launch into space and cascade for all to see. Now cell phones are drawn and the images are scrolled through, if they can find them (which they will... eventually.)