Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Center Filter for 47mm XL

Re: Center Filter for 47mm XL

xkaes, another way for 2 stops is to under-rate the film by two stops. For example, ISO 400 set the meter to ISO 100. For ISO 100 set the meter to 25.

Set the lens to f/11 and choose the shutter speed on the meter that matches.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post

The only way out of this is to meter the scene and choose a speed and aperture stopped down at least to f22, so that when I open up two f-stops to adjust for the ND, I end up at f11 -- two stops down from wide open. Correct?
    Exactly, but your thinking is too convoluted.

The largest aperture at which you can use the CF is f/11. The CF cuts illumination by 2 stops. 2 stops down from f/11 is f/22. So you want to use the shutter speed that gives good exposure at f/22.

I don't have to think hard 'cos I can count on my fingers. I don't have to think hard 'cos I have a Horseman meter.

If you want to play narrow depth of field games like the digital types who shoot fast lenses wide open you shouldn't use y'r CF.

I get it. It seems the approach I would use -- assuming I actually get a CND filter at some point -- would be to select the f-stop I want to use, that is at least two f-stops down from maximum. Then adjust the ISO with the filter factor for the CND filter, and meter the scene. Then use the shutter speed for that selected f-stop.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    I get it. It seems the approach I would use -- assuming I actually get a CND filter at some point -- would be to select the f-stop I want to use, that is at least two f-stops down from maximum. Then adjust the ISO with the filter factor for the CND filter, and meter the scene. Then use the shutter speed for that selected f-stop.
    You really do make things unnecessarily complicated! How do you tie your shoes? Or do you just wear flip flops?

I'm strictly bare foot.