Thread: Differences in movements - S. Technika V vs Master Technika Classic ?

Differences in movements - S. Technika V vs Master Technika Classic ?

Hello,

I often read in forums (here in Germany) that a Master does have more (larger) movements than a V?

I know the famous flap and that the lens tilt has more degrees (30 vs 15?) in the Master.

But are any other movements besides these also slightly larger in the Master than in the V? Or are all other parts (besides the leather) and the front tilt mechanism identical?

Thanks in advance from good old Linhof Country!

Re: Differences in movements - S. Technika V vs Master Technika Classic ?

The front tilt mechanism uses the same principle, but the parts are slightly different on the Master to permit the additional angle of tilt. The pins for tilting the back allow for slightly greater angle of swing or tilt. In practical use, either camera works equally well. You will have to decide whether the additional capability of the Master is what you need. It depends on which kinds of lenses you use most. If you use predominantly wide angle lenses (90mm and 75mm focal lengths), a non-folding field camera designed specifically for wide angle lenses would be much easier to use than a folding technical camera. If you use mainly lenses 120mm and longer, the Super Technika V will be just as capable as the Master Technika for most general purpose photography.

Parts are not all identical. Some parts for a V are no longer available from the factory. In fact, some parts for old Master Technica cameras are also no longer available.

For wider lenses, I would prefer a Wista metal folder like the SP. It accepts a interchangeable bellows (i.e. bag vs. standard bellows), and it can use either a 90mm or a 75mm without having the drop the front bed to keep the back vertical. It's quite a capable camera and not nearly so expensive.

However, it's maximum extension is just over 290mm. So, one can't use a 355mm or 360mm lens without a "top hat" lensboard. But for either the Master or a Wista SP, I would prefer to use a Nikon 360mm T-ED lens, versus a non-tele.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    For wider lenses, I would prefer a Wista metal folder like the SP. It accepts a interchangeable bellows (i.e. bag vs. standard bellows), and it can use either a 90mm or a 75mm without having the drop the front bed to keep the back vertical. It's quite a capable camera and not nearly so expensive.

However, it's maximum extension is just over 290mm. So, one can't use a 355mm or 360mm lens without a "top hat" lensboard. But for either the Master or a Wista SP, I would prefer to use a Nikon 360mm T-ED lens, versus a non-tele.
    Again, Wista offers several extension beds and bellows for their cameras.
    Last edited by Bob Salomon; 5-Aug-2017 at 15:58.

I purchased a Linhof Technikardan because I shoot architectural shots often and need the capacity to use primarily quite a bit of front rise. With the capacity to add a bag bellows or a regular bellows and have more freedom of movements it has been a great camera. I have shot lenses from 58mm to 450mm with this camera.

I don't do architecture very often - but when I do I'm glad my Master has the flap! I wish for internal WA focusing as on the 2000 but so far have lived without it.