Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New55 new Kickstarter campaign

New55 new Kickstarter campaign

I believe I haven't seen yet anyone sharing the info about the New55 new campaign:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...=project_share

Also for those who want to know more about New55, I strongly recommend listening to these two podcasts:

- Pdexposures Podcast Episode 31 - April 2014 – the New55 Project
    http://www.pdexposures.com/pdexposur...new55-project/

- Sam Hiser and the Artful Innovation of New55 Film (217) - March 2017
    https://artfulcamera.com/blog/sam-hi...new55-film-217

Re: New55 new Kickstarter campaign

I was quite happy with both boxes I received from original kickstarter campaign. One box was from an early batch, the second from a later batch. Both gave me excellent, even negatives. The prints, on the other hand... I wish them well!

Thanks for sharing this. This new Kickstarter has as aim to improve the prints so they are better then they are now. Remember that New55 are the only manufacturers of 4x5 instant film. With this Kickstarter project they can stay that. So please donate or share! As you can read on the page a new challenge has arisen which means a succesfull Kickstarter capmaign is even more urgent!
    Stupid questions deserve stupid answers.
    allthingsanalogue.weebly.com
    http://www.new55project.com

If they don't have access to pods any more from 20x24 studio (Why? no reasons given... seems like manufactured trauma, frankly) their quality overall is only going to go down, not up. And it was already pretty far down on the scale of an acceptable, professional product. Rolling the dice on expired real type 55 is a better and cheaper gamble for users who want consistent results.

Really they need a deep-pocketed investor who is willing to take it to the next level and get out of the garage with that product concept. Which is probably not very likely to happen, sadly.

Ed,

I believe New55 always had the plan to have their own pod machine at some stage in order to be able to scale up production and ensure better control of their product.
    Even before the news about 20x24 studio, the new campaign mentioned the following "The goal is to make New55 PN film work better. We need to get control of the pod and the chemicals used in the development in order to reduce the urgency to use fixer immediately after peeling." So actually the points you mentioned about the first batch (and it would be fair to mention how the product improved since) might be partly (at least) related to the pod they were using.

I see people complaining about not having a mature product since the first batch while not noticing that these gentlemen are starting from scratch, without getting a factory or assets from the former product company. I think we all agree we would love to see a sustainable and good Type 55 film. When some guys, including one with an impressive IP legacy, are taking over that challenge and dedicate most of their time and their money to achieve that goal (with a very transparent and open source approach by the way), the minimum we could do is to encourage them and remind them there is definitely a market for that better product they are aiming for. That's how I see personally that campaign and why I decided to back them.

I'll be happy to buy the product, when it gets to an acceptable stage. Hopefully it does actually get there someday.

Ed - fair enough. I just hope they can reach that day if they do not receive enough support.

Just some clarification on the open source point I mentioned: after some further discussions, it might be worth precising that most of their open source effort relates to the research on past patents and discoveries about DTR. However New55 still develop their own IP along the project in order to attract investor interest.

I get failry consistent result with New55. It is not perfect that is true but it is really eassy complaining that they are not doing thier job right if you don't realise what an enormous task it is to get everything right. Even TIP is still struggling to get things right and they have considarable more money to spend then New55. So that is why it is important to back them even if your not happy with the product right now (which I understand of course). And if you don't want to invest now that is fine but share the Kickstarter project with your fellow large format photgraphers. They might want to support them.
    Stupid questions deserve stupid answers.
    allthingsanalogue.weebly.com
    http://www.new55project.com

Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    If they don't have access to pods any more from 20x24 studio (Why? no reasons given... seems like manufactured trauma, frankly) their quality overall is only going to go down, not up. And it was already pretty far down on the scale of an acceptable, professional product. Rolling the dice on expired real type 55 is a better and cheaper gamble for users who want consistent results.

Really they need a deep-pocketed investor who is willing to take it to the next level and get out of the garage with that product concept. Which is probably not very likely to happen, sadly.
    20X24 told us they were no longer supplying pods several days after we launched the Kickstarter, Ed. That was the reason given. Why would you think that is a manufactured trauma?

Bob,

I was a bit troubled by a recent statement from 20x24 on FB on June 24: "We are considering forming a non-profit organization to champion large format instant photography and possibly offer a gateway to a new peel apart film. Ultimately we need those that profess support for instant photography to use instant photography and that includes fans of smaller formats."

So they stopped supply right in your campaign and now announced they want to get into peel apart film...?