Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 8x10 Backpack / Rucksack options

8x10 Backpack / Rucksack options

I am in desperate need of a way to carry my 10x8 camera and ancillary equipment.
    I have ventured out with it once in a sports shoulder bag, with the equipment wrapped in bath towels, but that was not the most comfortable experience of my life to say the least. I managed about 25 yards from the car before the strap started biting into my shoulder.
    I need to carry the following:
    Wilderness V 10x8 camera approx. 6kg (13lbs)
    Schneider apo-symmar 240 5.6
    4x DDS
    Sekonic L-508 meter
    Dark cloth
    GT2542 + GH2780 head
    Cable release

But I would like to have sufficient room to add the following when funds allow:
    a 360 or 480 copal 3 'slowish' lens
    A Lee filter system

There seems to be plenty of reviews of the F64 BPX but I can't find a supplier in Europe for this item so I have also been considering the Mindshift Firstlight 40L
    I am drawn to the Mindshift as I can buy it from a supplier in England for £250, am covered by our 30day returns regulations, and it looks more modern than the F64
    I would need to import the F64 from USA which I could do for around £190 but once purchased I would have no option to return.
    I also looked at the Arja after searching the previous posts but this seems to require the additional cost of a pre-formed insert system and I don't seem to be able to find a local stockist
    So, if you own a Mindshift or F64 for 10x8, and have had to make the same decision please let me know your thoughts, or is there any other brand I should be considering?

thanks ...Sweep

Re: 8x10 Backpack / Rucksack options

There are plenty of good backpacks that will meet your needs I am sure. There will be many posts to follow with great suggestions.

In the meantime, think about adapting a serious trekker's backpack or mountaineering rig to carry your gear. The now out of production "PhotoBackpacker" line of gear used a Kelty Redwing backpack as the base and inserted a Velcro or hook-and-loop board to hold everything together. A DIY project would be to construct your own liuner from hook-and-loop fabric glued to stiffened foam substrate combined with a serious hiking backpack.

It may be that a padded insert that meets your needs is available on e-Bay or Amazon wich saves time and effort.

This approach gives you a backpack that may be more comfortable for serious hiking that will protect and organize your gear but will not advertise that you have thousands of Dollars, Pounds or Euros in photogear packed inside.

Cheers.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Take a look at Fly Fishing packs from Orvis UK. The safe passage pack is roomy enough to put in a reel case to hold your lenses and accessories.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

I found an Evoc 35L on ebay and have been really happy with it for my 8x10 and accessories.

After purchasing and using several photo dedicated backpacks I came to the conclusion that none of them comfortably rode on my back like a full sized backpack made for carrying a lot of camping equipment.

In the end bought a large "vintage" Dana backpack and filled it with inserts. Inserts are available on Amazon. Just do a search with come combinations of the words: Camera Insert, Camera Bag Inserts or Insets with Sleeves. Filled full with photo equipment and with a tripod attached to one side of the pack, the backpack is a pleasure to use. Way more comfortable and balanced that any dedicated photo backpack that I have ever owned.

The Photobackpacker that I use for my 4x5 rig is a fitted-out Granite Gear pack. ('Fitted out' means I have Photobackpacker cases for lenses, meter, camera. I carry about 20 lb--9 kg in it very comfortably. For a while; but 'for a while' is mainly due to my age: I'm 72. I would buy it again.
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

I have the F64 backpack. It's great but so so when it comes to long hikes. I pack as much into as I can, including 6, 8x10 holders, 8 lenses, filters, metre, etc. The strap has broken a couple of times (where it connects to the bottom of the pack...probably because I pack too much and picking up by one strap and swinging it onto my back!). I have taken it as carry on (with side pouches removed) many times.

Here, in France, you can find the F64 backpack ; http://www.adaflex.com/pages/accessoires/sacs.htm

What I use:

https://meipacks.myshopify.com/colle...cts/trekker-ii

Detachable front daypack holds five 8x10 holders easily. Keeps them out of the main pack. I built dividers out closed-cell foam (old backpacking sleeping pads).

Comfortable with a 45 pound load (Zone VI 8x10, 3 to 4 lenses, 6 holders, etc) over miles of trails and off-trail. I have sent it on airplanes.

The only issue I have is that I need to tighten the waist belt occasionally -- but I have had the pack for 20+ years and it has seen a lot of hard use. All the seams are fine, zippers still good.

I am considering buying their next size up for my 11x14. I hope you can find an equivilent in Europe!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PackInterior.jpg   PackExterior.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I use an F-stop Guru with an 8x10 Kodak 2D, it just fits. I can also add a couple of holders, tripod block, dark cloth and meter, or a holder and the extension rail. It's a very good bag, though I'd like to get one of their larger bags.

Unfortunately F-stop has a reputation for slow delivery if you purchase direct. There are vendors in the EU who have them in stock. I was lucky to find my bag second hand (craigslist). It's been around quite a bit and still looks like new, very robust and light.

I think whatever bag you buy, you'll need to try it out with the gear you've got, so your idea about getting a bag with return rights is sound. Good luck!