Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New Ultra-Light Chamonix 810 Camera

Re: New Ultra-Light Chamonix 810 Camera

Ari,

I have been looking an ideal lens, just one lens, for the Alpinist. The Cooke convertible lens you have is the top candidate. For 810 portrait, you can use the combined for half or whole body and use the single element for head shots. The camera can handle that lens with ease, but not my Universal-Heliar 42cm. I would use different camera for studio head shots.

Re: New Ultra-Light Chamonix 810 Camera

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    I've met your lovely wife. I'm sure your daughter is wonderful. How could she not be with the loving parents she has? I'm not rich either. Balancing family with an expensive hobby can be hard. The hobby always gets the cut.
    Thank you, Alan; and you're right, the cameras have to come last these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    Ari,

I have been looking an ideal lens, just one lens, for the Alpinist. The Cooke convertible lens you have is the top candidate. For 810 portrait, you can use the combined for half or whole body and use the single element for head shots. The camera can handle that lens with ease, but not my Universal-Heliar 42cm. I would use different camera for studio head shots.
    Hi Hugo,
    The Cooke is a very special lens, so you obviously have great taste!
    But it's got its quirks as well, which are really just natural properties of convertible lenses.
    The Chamonix 8x10's bellows maxes out at 700mm with extension board; believe it or not, this isn't long enough when using the Cooke at its longest FL of 646mm. For that you need 733mm of extension just to get to infinity.
    And the shorter 476mm FL needs 542mm of extension, just barely enough for full extension without the add-on board.
    The 311mm needs 312mm of extension.
    https://www.cookeoptics.com/l/xva.html
    Last edited by Ari; 12-Nov-2017 at 20:43.