Thread: Lens shade for Chamonix

Lens shade for Chamonix

Up to a while back, I was still using the dark slide to shadow the lens on my Chamonix view camera. Worked to some degree when I was shading the front of the lens from the sun's direct trays, but in other situations was essentially useless. So started looking around for a more effective solution.

In going through my Sinar literature and catalogues came across their 533.21 Sinar Bellows Hood Mask 2. Picked up a broken one for a bargain price. Fortunately, as I had hoped, fixing it was child's play. Now had to figure out a way to mount it on the Chamonix in front of the lens. Using a Sinar Norma Auxiliary standard proved to be the easy solution. Removed the bottom rail clamp and now use a 1/4" screw to mount the auxiliary standard to one of the female threads on the bed in front of the lens. Also removed the tilt angle round scales on each side of the frame for a reason I can't remember. Whole thing takes up minimal space and takes a few seconds to attach to the front bed of the Chamonix. The 4 separate precision drives allow me to operate the 4 roller blinds to exactly position them.

In practice this set-up is a pleasure to use. I now rest the dark slide atop the Chamonix's front standard and the Sinar Auxiliary standard which at times blocks out direct sun rays from reaching the front element of the lens.

Second use for this set-up is to mount a Sinar Copal shutter in front of a barrel lens and wrap the whole front with the darkcloth. I do this very, very infrequently, but sure beats having to buy a $285 adapter to mount the Sinar Copal shutter to the front of Chamonix's front standard. When I've done the, I've also wrapped a large rubber band around the tops of the Chamonix's front standard and the top of the Sinar Auxiliary standard to prevent any vibration when the shutter is released. The rigidity of the Sinar Auxiliary Standard seems to be taxed by the weight of the Sinar Copal shutter (don't think the Auxiliary was designed to mount and operate the shutter on).

Several times in the past I have wanted to shoot straight up with my 11x14 Chamonix. First the camera/tripod set-up is way off balance and requires a counter sandbag weight. Also operating the camera more than a little awkward. Once I am able to find a reasonably priced 538.11 Sinar Front-surfaced mirror, I will be able to mount it at a 45 degree angle in front of the lens allowing me to operate the camera normally and very balanced on the tripod. Camera movements though might be a little ricky to get used of.

Comments welcome....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sinar & Chamonix.jpg  

Re: Lens shade for Chamonix

Or for $10 a DLC collapsible rubber lens hood screws onto the lens/step up ring. Collapsed for wide angle and extended for normal+. I have seen one modified so that 3/4ths of the rubber was removed. Also available in many brand names B+W, Sensei, Nikon, canon, etc.... There is also something called the flex shade designed for mirrorless cameras but it would likely work too.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    Or for $10 a DLC collapsible rubber lens hood screws onto the lens/step up ring. Collapsed for wide angle and extended for normal+. I have seen one modified so that 3/4ths of the rubber was removed. Also available in many brand names B+W, Sensei, Nikon, canon, etc.... There is also something called the flex shade designed for mirrorless cameras but it would likely work too.
    Yes that also works but maybe not just as effectively. Did try going that route but couldn't find correct thread size step-up rings for some of my antique/vintage lenses and way more than once left the correct step-up ring at home, duct tape being my savior more than once. You can "win" a complete set of step-up rings off Exxx for just a few dollars but you get what you pay for. Fortunately they're made of soft aluminum and their threads deform way before the threads on your modern lenses. No so on brass lenses, or so a friend tells me.
    Thanks for the reply

Les

Greg, you could look up Dinkum Shade on amazonia. It's reasonable (in price) and relatively light....certainly lighter than compendium.

Les

Use a dinkum Hotshoe lens shade...
    http://www.dinkumsystems.com/compact-lens-shade/

I used it for my tech cam...

A DIY lens shade which will be mounted to the tripod had should do it (https://beefoto.wordpress.com/2015/0...hattenspender/). A card board, a flexible arm, two clamps, three cable ties for around Euro 14. Or a collapsible rubber lens shade (Euro 10) on the same page. Both solutions need only little space in the camera case and are pretty lightweight.
    The first solution is pretty stable and you have the advantage to mount almost any cardboard size.