Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bought my first LF camera - Sinar Norma

Re: Bought my first LF camera - Sinar Norma

Quote Originally Posted by prestonedavis View Post
    When you say easily detachable, are you suggesting the replacement screen may not be detachable? Is there a reason why I would want a detachable screen?

Thanks for the info regarding shutter servicing. I will definitely keep that in mind should it be necessary.
    On the Sinar the Fresnel screen is mounted to clips that make it easily removable. A Beattie Intenscreen is a replacement for both the ground glass and the Fresnel screen so it's smooth surface must be positioned at the same place as the smooth side of the original ground glass. So it does not mount the same way that a Sinar Fresnel screen would have mounted to the camera.

Welcome and enjoy one of my favorite cameras to use. i started LF with a Sinar Norma and many cameras later, it is still my favorite. Looks like you got a great setup and I am sure you'll love it.

Pali

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    On the Sinar the Fresnel screen is mounted to clips that make it easily removable. A Beattie Intenscreen is a replacement for both the ground glass and the Fresnel screen so it's smooth surface must be positioned at the same place as the smooth side of the original ground glass. So it does not mount the same way that a Sinar Fresnel screen would have mounted to the camera.
    I missed that the camera has a Beattie screen installed. However, it seems from the attached pix that the fresnel is a separate piece from the groundglass, and both are secured by the screwed-on clips. May be an “optional delusion” though. It’s apparent that the spring clips for attaching a Sinar fresnel are present though and if the as-bought configuration is unacceptable for whatever unlikely reason it can be replaced by a Sinar fresnel. Here’s one source:

http://igorcamera.com/sinar_film_cameras.htm $35 / Exc. cond. OR $79 / Mint cond.

Quote Originally Posted by Pali K View Post
    Welcome and enjoy one of my favorite cameras to use. i started LF with a Sinar Norma and many cameras later, it is still my favorite. Looks like you got a great setup and I am sure you'll love it.

Pali
    Thanks. During my search, you flickr photos are some of the one's that pushed me closer to the Norma.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bodine View Post
    I missed that the camera has a Beattie screen installed. However, it seems from the attached pix that the fresnel is a separate piece from the groundglass, and both are secured by the screwed-on clips. May be an “optional delusion” though. It’s apparent that the spring clips for attaching a Sinar fresnel are present though and if the as-bought configuration is unacceptable for whatever unlikely reason it can be replaced by a Sinar fresnel. Here’s one source:

http://igorcamera.com/sinar_film_cameras.htm $35 / Exc. cond. OR $79 / Mint cond.
    So why would someone replace the original screen with the Beattie? Brighter?

No, to use a Fresnel he would have to replace the Intensiscreen with a ground glass. Then he can add a Fresnel.

Probably. I've read nothing but praise for the Beattie, but I've never found the Sinar fresnel to be inadequate for what I do. So, I can't really offer any comparison of the two. Since the Beattie is plastic and is not inexpensive, if it gets scratched to the point of needing replacement you may need some deeper pockets.

Bob, right again. I need to proof my comments more closely.

Quote Originally Posted by prestonedavis View Post
    First time poster here. This forum's info has been helpful in the info gathering process that led me to order this Sinar Norma from ebay: http://r.ebay.com/dkWVNe

I'm completely new to large format so I'm excited to get started. My question for you all is what inspection process should I go through when the camera arrives? The seller has a 30-day return policy so I want to make sure everything is in reasonable shape before that time period is up. What should I realistically expect from an old camera such as this one?

I will primarily be shooting landscapes with the occasional portraits. I'm coming over from the MF world where my weapon of choice is the Pentax 67.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
    The Pentax 67 is not a joke, but a very powerful weapon, that takumar 105...

The Norma is also my 45 camera, and I've two 210 symmar convertibles, I acquired the 2nd one for an stereo DIY project.

By now you may be aware that the Norma is not a common camera. First ever all metal view camera, very able for both studio and field, and used by people like Ansel Adams. Exposed in some museums... but still a powerful/elegant tool...

As you have a fresnel installed just check focus is accurate, if fresnel is in the inside part then the flange to film distance has to be corrected, if the fresnel is in the outside then no correction was needed at the time.

So place a long rule on the floor and take a shot, the photograph has to have focused the same number you saw focused in the ground glass...

If fresnel is in the inside and you remove it then film to flnge distance has to be corrected.

About the 210 symmar, this is a very good lens, single coated, so it can have slightly more flare in some conditions(sun in the framming). Use a shutter tester and check all speeds, this is very important, even a new LF shutter may have +/-30% tolerance, so an old one has to be checked. Shutter tester cost range from $15 (photocell for the sound card type) to $100.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/expo...rge-format.htm

The Symmar 370 conversion is pretty usable, if someone says the counter you can tell him that Ansel made the "Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico" with a converted configuration of a Cooke, a lens well worse than the Symmar...

http://www.kenrockwell.com/schneider/150.htm

Still using the 370 conversion has drawbacks, you have to stop to /22 to get sharpness in the corners, and it has focus shift, ideal focusing changes when stoping the lens, so you have to check focus again after stopping, this not happens with the whole lens (210mm).

Still the 370mmm conversion is a very nice portrait lens, as you have a very bright fresnel it will help you focusing with lens stopped...

Have fun !!!

Regards

Probably. I've read nothing but praise for the Beattie, but I've never found the Sinar fresnel to be inadequate for what I do. So, I can't really offer any comparison of the two. Since the Beattie is plastic and is not inexpensive, if it gets scratched to the point of needing replacement you may need some deeper pockets.

Bob, right again. I need to proof my comments more closely.
    All view camera Fresnel screens are plastic and subject to scratching unless you have one that offers a cover glass like the Linhof Super Screen did. However, the Super Screen and other one piece, combination focusing screen/Fresnel screens could warp. A ground glass cannot and if an add on Fresnel screen did warp it would not effect the focus plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    The Pentax 67 is not a joke, but a very powerful weapon, that takumar 105...

The Norma is also my 45 camera, and I've two 210 symmar convertibles, I acquired the 2nd one for an stereo DIY project.

By now you may be aware that the Norma is not a common camera. First ever all metal view camera, very able for both studio and field, and used by people like Ansel Adams. Exposed in some museums... but still a powerful/elegant tool...

As you have a fresnel installed just check focus is accurate, if fresnel is in the inside part then the flange to film distance has to be corrected, if the fresnel is in the outside then no correction was needed at the time.

So place a long rule on the floor and take a shot, the photograph has to have focused the same number you saw focused in the ground glass...

If fresnel is in the inside and you remove it then film to flnge distance has to be corrected.

About the 210 symmar, this is a very good lens, single coated, so it can have slightly more flare in some conditions(sun in the framming). Use a shutter tester and check all speeds, this is very important, even a new LF shutter may have +/-30% tolerance, so an old one has to be checked. Shutter tester cost range from $15 (photocell for the sound card type) to $100.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/expo...rge-format.htm

The Symmar 370 conversion is pretty usable, if someone says the counter you can tell him that Ansel made the "Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico" with a converted configuration of a Cooke, a lens well worse than the Symmar...

http://www.kenrockwell.com/schneider/150.htm

Still using the 370 conversion has drawbacks, you have to stop to /22 to get sharpness in the corners, and it has focus shift, ideal focusing changes when stoping the lens, so you have to check focus again after stopping, this not happens with the whole lens (210mm).

Still the 370mmm conversion is a very nice portrait lens, as you have a very bright fresnel it will help you focusing with lens stopped...

Have fun !!!

Regards
    I wish I knew enough about LF and LF lenses to say I understand what you're saying about the 370, but I don't. Are in some way referring to the lens that comes with the set up I just bought? Please enlighten me a bit more about what I'm getting as well as this conversion you speak of.

And yes, that Takumar 105 is a god-lens.