Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 67

Thread: Bought my first LF camera - Sinar Norma

  1. #31

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    907

    Re: Bought my first LF camera - Sinar Norma

    Quote Originally Posted by prestonedavis View Post
    You folks have me really excited this new photography journey I'm taking on. All this input is very appreciated!
    If you still have any doubt, see here how AA handles one, it is a 5x7 with 4x5 reducing back, I guess...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-ZCEXWdIMg&t=13s

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Seattle, WA
    Posts
    731

    Re: Bought my first LF camera - Sinar Norma

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bodine View Post
    ...MOST Sinar parts are interchangeable with other models. Here's one of their useful websites:
    http://www.kenleegallery.com/pdf/Sin...em_katalog.pdf...
    Note: This link focuses on Sinar models from F-series and on, showing many parts that will work properly on the Norma (and some that will not).

    Regarding interchangeable parts, some thoughts come to mind for your future needs:

    For landscape work, you'll likely want to use filters, but I don't see the Norma filter holder in your purchase. You may choose to use the Norma design which employs a solid hex rod 3-piece set (three different rod lengths) which fit into the clip on the side of the front standard. Several accessories were available that could be slipped onto this rod - in front of the lens - for various purposes. A swing-out (180*) filter holder ring for a polarizer filter (105mm Coarse thread) on its front side + a retainer ring on the rear side for Series 9 glass filters. A gel filter holder was available to screw into the front side. A bellows lens hood could also be rigged up by attaching a standard square bellows to the hex rod using clips designed for that purpose. The challenges nowadays are that finding (a) the filter holder ring (b) the gel filter holder (c) the original clips for the bellows hood (which never gripped the bellows securely anyway). You’ll notice in the link above that some of these accessories are available, but I can tell you they’ll not work on the Norma. Here’s why:

    For reasons I’ve never understood, for F-series and on, the hex rod attachment to the front standard was relocated from the side of the front standard to a place near the bottom of the front standard, so the “clocking” of the hex receptacle had to be rotated by an appropriate amount to keep the accessories centered on the lens axis. What this all means to you is that the current accessories (filter holder ring, bellows clips) cannot work on the Norma. Many Norma users have resorted to DIY configurations or simply use the Lee Filter system (http://www.leefilters.com/index.php/camera/system). I noted another solution was to use a current Multipurpose Standard in front of the lens, thus allowing the current bellows holder clips and polarizing filter to be used on the hex rods you bought. But I haven't been able to verify that the current pola holder still incorporates the Series 9 function. SINAR now offers a system of lens adapter rings for filters – shown in the above Sinar link.

    Finally, it’s good to pay attention to Bob Salomon’s comments; he’s very knowledgeable.

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Oakland, California
    Posts
    24

    Re: Bought my first LF camera - Sinar Norma

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bodine View Post
    Many Norma users have resorted to DIY configurations or simply use the Lee Filter system (http://www.leefilters.com/index.php/camera/system).
    I have already invested in the Lee system for my Pentax 67. It sounds like you're saying I'll be able to use it (with proper adapters) on the Norma. Are their any limitations to using the Lee filters?

    I also use this 105mm Kaesemann Polarizer (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...emann_htc.html) Will there be any issue using this? I'm assuming this will depend on the lenses I use it with?

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Seattle, WA
    Posts
    731

    Re: Bought my first LF camera - Sinar Norma

    Sorry, Preston. I've never actually seen the Sinar adapters, so I'm in the dark as much as you on that one. I've always used the original Norma system and have never needed the Lee system either. I wore out the Sinar Pola and replaced it with a Tiffen which screws into my swing-out holder but also happens to fit my largest lenses' front element threads. If your Kaesemann Pola has 105mm coarse thread, it’s larger than your 210 Symmar 5.6 front element thread (M 58 x .75) so obviously you'd need an adapter unless the Lee system can accommodate that connection. You’d have to try it. I’m not aware of any limitations with the Lee system since I’ve never used it – although others have. Your Kaesemann is a circular type that is only needed for cameras that have an optical viewing system; view cameras generally only need a linear type, but IIRC circulars will work properly for you.
    Last edited by Jerry Bodine; 18-Jun-2017 at 21:52.

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Oakland, California
    Posts
    24

    Re: Bought my first LF camera - Sinar Norma

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bodine View Post
    Sorry, Preston. I've never actually seen the Sinar adapters, so I'm in the dark as much as you on that one. I've always used the original Norma system and have never needed the Lee system either. I wore out the Sinar Pola and replaced it with a Tiffen which screws into my swing-out holder but also happens to fit my largest lenses' front element threads. If your Kaesemann Pola has 105mm coarse thread, it’s larger than your 210 Symmar 5.6 front element thread (M 58 x .75) so obviously you'd need an adapter unless the Lee system can accommodate that connection. You’d have to try it. I’m not aware of any limitations with the Lee system since I’ve never used it – although others have. Your Kaesemann is a circular type that is only needed for cameras that have an optical viewing system; view cameras generally only need a linear type, but IIRC circulars will work properly for you.
    Sounds like I have bit of research to do then as I'm hoping to use my existing filter kit.

    Thanks, Jerry.

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Oakland, California
    Posts
    24

    Re: Bought my first LF camera - Sinar Norma

    I have another question regarding my Norma and lenses/lens boards. I've searched the forum but the answer isn't perfectly clear to me. Probably due to me being a novice in this arena.

    When buying lens boards, what attributes should I be looking for to ensure they fit my front standard? I read somewhere on here about a Sinar>Technika adapter. Is this an adapter that will stay on the camera and allow me to fit technika brand(?) lens boards to it? For shooting out in the field, which approach is more practical? Can someone point me in the direction of a photo of a) an example of what a sinar lens board looks like and b) a photo of the sinar adapter.

    Hopefully this makes sense. Feel free to set me on the correct path if what I'm saying isn't quite right.

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Posts
    10,163

    Re: Bought my first LF camera - Sinar Norma

    Quote Originally Posted by prestonedavis View Post
    I have another question regarding my Norma and lenses/lens boards. I've searched the forum but the answer isn't perfectly clear to me. Probably due to me being a novice in this arena.

    When buying lens boards, what attributes should I be looking for to ensure they fit my front standard? I read somewhere on here about a Sinar>Technika adapter. Is this an adapter that will stay on the camera and allow me to fit technika brand(?) lens boards to it? For shooting out in the field, which approach is more practical? Can someone point me in the direction of a photo of a) an example of what a sinar lens board looks like and b) a photo of the sinar adapter.

    Hopefully this makes sense. Feel free to set me on the correct path if what I'm saying isn't quite right.
    It looks just like all Sinar boards do except it has the Technical 45 board adapter on the face of the board.
    You can look at a Technical adapter board for any camera system and the Technical adapter part will all be the same.

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Seattle, WA
    Posts
    731

    Re: Bought my first LF camera - Sinar Norma

    Preston - Bob beat me to it, but rather than edit my response I’ll just post it as written. If I were to buy a lens board for my Norma I would insist on one that has the name SINAR molded into the corner of its front surface. The link to your *bay purchase shows such a board. Any OEM board will work on your Norma; they are 140mm (5.5”) square and made from aluminum. The original Norma boards are colored with the greenish-gray paint on the front surface; later models were usually flat black on the front, but any SINAR board will work on any Sinar model. Sinar offers an adapter board (441.91) that accepts the much smaller Technika boards, and adapter boards made by other fabricators sometimes appear on this forum. One thing I’ve always wondered about, though, is that most/all Technika boards locate the lens below their geometric center – for some reason not apparent to me; so I wonder if these adapters account for this offset and position the lens axis at the center of the Sinar board. Bob Salomon is our resident expert on this forum for all things Linhof and can certainly clarify all this; if he doesn’t respond in this thread I’d send him a personal message (PM) asking him to do so for the benefit of everyone here. [Since you’re new here, if you’re not sure how to send him a PM, just click on his name in one of his posts in this thread, then select his profile page where you’ll see a link to PM him]. So, yes, the adapter stays on the camera and allows any lens mounted on a Technika board to be put on it. Obviously, field work with lenses mounted on the smaller Technika boards will be less bulky than mounted on Sinar boards. I don’t have a photo of an adapter board, but I can say that it is designed to secure the Technika board to the adapter using the same concept (sliding clip) that attaches the Sinar board to the camera.

    Quote Originally Posted by prestonedavis View Post
    I have another question regarding my Norma and lenses/lens boards. I've searched the forum but the answer isn't perfectly clear to me. Probably due to me being a novice in this arena.

    When buying lens boards, what attributes should I be looking for to ensure they fit my front standard? I read somewhere on here about a Sinar>Technika adapter. Is this an adapter that will stay on the camera and allow me to fit technika brand(?) lens boards to it? For shooting out in the field, which approach is more practical? Can someone point me in the direction of a photo of a) an example of what a sinar lens board looks like and b) a photo of the sinar adapter.

    Hopefully this makes sense. Feel free to set me on the correct path if what I'm saying isn't quite right.

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Posts
    10,163

    Re: Bought my first LF camera - Sinar Norma

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bodine View Post
    Preston - Bob beat me to it, but rather than edit my response I’ll just post it as written. If I were to buy a lens board for my Norma I would insist on one that has the name SINAR molded into the corner of its front surface. The link to your *bay purchase shows such a board. Any OEM board will work on your Norma; they are 140mm (5.5”) square and made from aluminum. The original Norma boards are colored with the greenish-gray paint on the front surface; later models were usually flat black on the front, but any SINAR board will work on any Sinar model. Sinar offers an adapter board (441.91) that accepts the much smaller Technika boards, and adapter boards made by other fabricators sometimes appear on this forum. One thing I’ve always wondered about, though, is that most/all Technika boards locate the lens below their geometric center – for some reason not apparent to me; so I wonder if these adapters account for this offset and position the lens axis at the center of the Sinar board. Bob Salomon is our resident expert on this forum for all things Linhof and can certainly clarify all this; if he doesn’t respond in this thread I’d send him a personal message (PM) asking him to do so for the benefit of everyone here. [Since you’re new here, if you’re not sure how to send him a PM, just click on his name in one of his posts in this thread, then select his profile page where you’ll see a link to PM him]. So, yes, the adapter stays on the camera and allows any lens mounted on a Technika board to be put on it. Obviously, field work with lenses mounted on the smaller Technika boards will be less bulky than mounted on Sinar boards. I don’t have a photo of an adapter board, but I can say that it is designed to secure the Technika board to the adapter using the same concept (sliding clip) that attaches the Sinar board to the camera.
    Linhof places the hole on their boards so when the front and rear standards are at their standard position then the optical center of the lens is centered on the center of the ground glass. I have given this answer numerous times on this forum.

    Linhof offers two different Technical 45 adapter boards for their Karan cameras. One for wide angle lenses or lenses on recessed boards and one for everything else. I don't remember if Sinar did also, if not then shorter lenses may not focus to infinity on the Sinar adapter board.

  10. #40

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Oakland, California
    Posts
    24

    Re: Bought my first LF camera - Sinar Norma

    Would this be an example of one of the sinar adapters?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	373007_01_1000x1000.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	166314

Similar Threads

  1. Sinar Norma 5x4 Camera
    By Tā-Seen in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 4-Mar-2012, 16:04

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •