Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Lerebours Counterfeit lenses?

Re: Interesting Lerebours Counterfeit lenses?

Bernard, I'm afraid you don't have the French scholar education in the matter. Canadian perhaps? Even recently I spoke to a Francophone teacher who confirmed to me what I wrote when we complained about a notice on a door, having an accent on a capital vowel. In all my French studies I was always told about it - and I studied French "A PARIS".
    Something on the topic - https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_..._fran%C3%A7ais
    Where you can see that the usage depends a lot on the geographic position of the teacher, hence notre différence.
    Last edited by Pfsor; 17-Jun-2017 at 14:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard_L View Post
    Not so. This has become tolerated through the use of typewriters, that do not provide accents on capital letters.
    But proper typesetting (books...) has them. And the spellchecker also flags missing accents on capitals.
    Now I start to understand - you must be from Québec! Which explains it all! (Since I read this - http://www.francaisfacile.com/forum/...res+majuscules ) My apologies to all Québécois!

Not many French makers have accents in their names. Clément et Gilmore engraved their lenses CLÉMENT....

... et Gilmer

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    Not many French makers have accents in their names. Clément et Gilmore engraved their lenses CLÉMENT....
    Are you sure about the accent? Because here is an example of their lens without the accent - http://www.collection-appareils.fr/x...0X%2010.5.html

Oui!
    Photos tomorrow.

And here they are, from Corrado's book. These are from the 1890´s +.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg  
    Last edited by Steven Tribe; 18-Jun-2017 at 00:21.

Bernard, I'm afraid you don't have the French scholar education in the matter.
    Looks like Michel de Montaigne and Joseph-Louis Lagrange also lack a proper scholar education.

From Montaigne "Journal de Voyage" (Travel Diary), paperback edition, Gallimard. Typeset in 2013.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Accents002_M.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	166243
    From a fac-simile of the 4th edition (1888) of La Mécanique Analytique (1788)

Name:	Accents003_M.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	166244

Quote Originally Posted by Pfsor View Post
    Now I start to understand - you must be from Québec! Which explains it all! (Since I read this - http://www.francaisfacile.com/forum/...res+majuscules ) My apologies to all Québécois!
    Did you even read the content of the link you provide? Excerpt:

Voici un texte de l'Académie française

Quant à l’utilisation des accents sur les majuscules, il est malheureusement manifeste que l’usage est flottant. On observe dans les textes manuscrits une tendance certaine à l’omission des accents. Il en va de même dans les textes dactylographiés, en raison notamment des possibilités limitées qu’offrent les machines traditionnelles. (...)

On veille donc, en bonne typographie, à utiliser systématiquement les capitales accentuées, y compris la préposition À, comme le font bien sûr tous les dictionnaires, à commencer par le Dictionnaire de l’Académie française, ou les grammaires, comme le Bon usage de Grevisse, mais aussi l’Imprimerie nationale, la Bibliothèque de la Pléiade, etc. (...)
    A partial translation: "... it is unfortunately clear that usage is fluctuating. (...) likewise in typewritten texts because of limitations of classical typewriters" [just what I said] "One should therefore systematically use accents on capitals, as seen of course in all dictionaries, starting with the one of the Academy, grammar textbooks, (...)"

Not only I read it but I also understood it and compared with other sources. The decision of the French Academy is a recent one, from 2002 and by this decision they wanted to reverse the established practice not to write accents on capital letters. See also all the other debate in the other link I gave you.
    Belgians and Swiss French speakers are also maintaining their tradition of not writing accents on capital letters. By the way the latest addition to the French orthography wanted by the French Academy encountered a lot of lol even by French intellectuals. Read all the stuff I linked to before you start to defend Quebec by horns.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard_L View Post
    Looks like Michel de Montaigne and Joseph-Louis Lagrange also lack a proper scholar education.

From Montaigne "Journal de Voyage" (Travel Diary), paperback edition, Gallimard. Typeset in 2013.

Name:	Accents002_M.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	166243
    From a fac-simile of the 4th edition (1888) of La Mécanique Analytique (1788)

Name:	Accents003_M.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	166244
    A nice try, Bernard but you hide the fact that the orthography rules were changing from the medieval times in France up to the recent very controversial decision of the French Academy. All this you can read in the links I mention. In any case, don't think that in France they write their French like in 1788. It's only in Quebec that somebody would use this logic. (Michel de Montaigne lived in 16th century...)
    Last edited by Pfsor; 18-Jun-2017 at 05:36.