Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Interesting Lerebours Counterfeit lenses?

Foamer

Re: Interesting Lerebours Counterfeit lenses?

I was a bit astonished they went that high! A similar Valentin lens went for about a quarter of that price.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

seems Lerebours is the new hype...

My views on the two items haven't changed! They are certainly very interesting conversation pieces with so much against them.

I am delighted that the restricted focus on Ross (in part) and Dallmeyer has been extended to include the important French makers who didn't manage to survive long into the 20th Century. There are a lot good Petzvals and convertible Petzvals (not a UK speciality!). I am sure that Corrado's book has really done a lot of PR and seems to found by everyone who is listing items these days. I hope soon they will start using Pont & Princelle's booklets soon - these (in general) are very good in providing data about focal lengths, sizes etc. and identifying specific models.

There is now a third example of a "Lerebours" with the dubious engraving from the same source (engraved retailer's name). This one is in very much worse condition. Can be seen here:

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...8-a82a01206cba

The lister behind the listing of the other two is one of the people behind Flint's auctions.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    There is now a third example of a "Lerebours" with the dubious engraving from the same source (engraved retailer's name). This one is in very much worse condition. Can be seen here:

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...8-a82a01206cba

The lister behind the listing of the other two is one of the people behind Flint's auctions.
    I have changed my mind about these three lenses! What I think has happened is that Hermagis sent a batch of lenses (at least three and without engraving) to the retailing optician in the Provinces. This optician did both the Hermagis engraving on one side of the sleeve and his own name on the other side. This would explain the obvious differences from the usual ex-Lerebours style.

What convinced me was that this last lens still has the original brass hood insert for washer stops. Only pre-serial number Hermagis and Lerebours have these.