Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 5 Days In Colorado - July

Re: 5 Days In Colorado - July

Looks like absolutely 0 sites available in RMNP.
    Both online and after 45 minutes on the phone (I am in the desert of NM for work...got disconnected during the first call).

Also, not being negative, but the folks on the phone are very little to no help. Pretty sure they are just looking online like I could. It is some national reservation system, so they seem to know little about the park. Or about camping there. Or camping in the forest. Or permits. Or whatnot. Twice I was told they have availability, yet come to find out there was not. Unless I wanted to split the nights. So they person wanted me to book Thurs night at one place and Fri night at another campsite. But...come to find out there are no sites for Fri night. So I was confused why the person would offer that.

It's ok. I will figure something out. Seems like there is Mountain Park to the north but it is first come-first serve. Stillwater, which has no trees at all due to a bug infestation. Olive Ridge looks nice...but also first come-first serve. When searching for permits it only pulls up 4 locations, 2 in Utah, 2 in the very West of CO.

I'm not surprised at all. July is their busiest time of year. Two pieces of information to consider. On the west side of the Park, about five miles into the park, there is a road on the left that goes OUT of the Park and into Arapahoe National Forest. It ends (1/2 mile) at the trailhead for Bowen Gulch (Trail 117). One POSSIBILITY, is to park there and hike in a little bit. There are a couple of other roads around there that do the same sort of thing.

You could spend the next day fighting the traffic in the Park. At the end of the day, drive south from Estes Park to Allenspark (Route 7). There are a couple of dirt roads to the southwest that lead to trailheads in the Roosevelt National Forest where you can do the same thing. Don't be surprised if there are other people doing the same thing you are. If they are from Colorado, they will probably offer you a toke. FYI, it's considered an insult to refuse -- Western hospitality, you know.

The following day you could visit Wild Basin -- close by.

Finally, memorize this map:

http://www.subclub.org/coloradomap.JPG

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coloradomap.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	166223

Les

Johnathon, you might want to look up Dillon Reservoir.....there are several campgrounds. It appears that this was the place where I hang my hat on the way up from Alamosa. But, the season was ending so the dynamics of getting a camp space was much different. It was already freezing at night (below 32F), so I was forced to stay at a hotel the following night...when I got to Estes Park. Good luck.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    I'm not surprised at all. July is their busiest time of year. Two pieces of information to consider. On the west side of the Park, about five miles into the park, there is a road on the left that goes OUT of the Park and into Arapahoe National Forest. It ends (1/2 mile) at the trailhead for Bowen Gulch (Trail 117). One POSSIBILITY, is to park there and hike in a little bit. There are a couple of other roads around there that do the same sort of thing.

You could spend the next day fighting the traffic in the Park. At the end of the day, drive south from Estes Park to Allenspark (Route 7). There are a couple of dirt roads to the southwest that lead to trailheads in the Roosevelt National Forest where you can do the same thing. Don't be surprised if there are other people doing the same thing you are. If they are from Colorado, they will probably offer you a toke. FYI, it's considered an insult to refuse -- Western hospitality, you know.

The following day you could visit Wild Basin -- close by.

Finally, memorize this map:

http://www.subclub.org/coloradomap.JPG

Name:	coloradomap.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	166223
    The more I think about it, we will be fine. Both of the close campgrounds that have first come first serve...I bet will have spots. Because we are getting there on Thursday. That is a huge advantage to lock down an empty spot.
    I will try and decide if I want to a) to try the National Forest route and Bowen Gulch trailhead idea OR b) go and try Mountain Park OR c) go and try Olive Ridge. Or at least where I go to first.

Do I need a permit or any special thing to go park and camp at the trailhead (hiking in a little bit)? Would we be allowed to use showers in any of the parks? What about bathrooms? Honestly, I am just fine surviving! But, I want to make sure the lady has some sort of basic amenities.

Regarding taking a little drag, I will have to insult some folks I suppose. I smoked back in college, but don't touch any drugs anymore. Neither does the lady (she never has, she is a saint).

Permits are USUALLY not needed to camp in National FORESTS, but there are USUALLY regulations as to fires, cutting wood, distances from trails, streams, lakes, etc. These can change so it's best to check. Just as important is finding a spot where you actually want to camp.

Camping in the RMNP, however, is only allowed in official campgrounds, or designated, backcountry sites which need reservations, or most anyplace if you get a permit through the backcountry office.

Bathrooms are not a problem USUALLY. Most campgrounds have them, but they can range from a single pit toilet with no water, to flush toilets with showers. Not camping there is NOT a problem, but finding what you want might be. Designated, back-country campsites usually have nothing, and usually require permits -- which you usually can't get, anyway.

Finally, not taking a toke is USUALLY not a problem -- just don't inhale!

Worst case, we can shower once we get to Denver on Saturday. I am sure we will both survive and just embrace the BO.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Initially, on multi day/week hikes in the Sierra Nevada, I carried a collapsible 1 gallon clear plastic water container. When I found a campsite for the night – usually near a stream – the first thing I did after dropping the pack was to fill the container and put it in the sunshine to heat the water while I set-up camp and then take a “shower” before supper. I did that for a few years until I switched from the collapsible container to using the bear can which is mandatory in the sierra back-country. Now I transfer the food from the bear can into a waterproof bag that I picked-up in an army/navy store for protecting the camera equipment during wet weather and use it like I did with the collapsible. It holds more water and eliminates the bulk of the collapsible. There's nothing more refreshing than taking a shower after a days hike and sitting down to supper.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    There's nothing more refreshing than taking a shower after a days hike and sitting down to supper.

Thomas
    For me, it's taking the old boots off. I remember one hike that was so tough on my feet (off trail, of course), that when I got back to the car and took off the boots, I noticed that one of my boot heels was completley missing! My feet were so beat up, I hadn't even noticed.

Oh my!!! I can only imagine looking down to realize one heel is completely fallen off!

And yeah, I have a collapsible water container. Not sure how much is in it. But since we will only be camping out for 4 nights...I really believe we will find a shower here and there at these campgrounds.
    Now, I am forgetting my plan. Oh yeah, we will just try and find a first come/first serve campground that Thursday.

Update

Tentative Schedule
    We land Tuesday (July 18th) at 7AM. We depart Sunday (July 23rd) at 7AM.
    Tuesday - land, pick up rental car, then drive toward "Secret Camping Spot Provided via PM". It is about 5 hours from Denver. Spend the day in a few towns and soaking in a few sights. End up at Secret Camping Spot and camp there.
    Wednesday - Get up and spend the day in & around "Secret Camping Spot". Spend the day there. Probably spend a second night in the "Secret Camping Spot" as there is a lot of sites around the place.
    Thursday - Wake up and drive to McClure pass, spend a little time there, and then head toward Rocky Mountain National Park. Attempt to find a spot at Olive Ridge Campground (I need to figure out a backup plan if they too end up booked). Spend afternoon and night in the area.
    Friday - Spend entire day (probably propose that evening on a hike or early Sat morning hike) at RMNP. Things to try and see are Trail Ridge Road, Wild Basin, Ouzel Falls. Camp at Olive Ridge again.
    Saturday - Get up pack, hike a little (try and see what we missed the day before) and head for hotel in the afternoon. Check into the Curtis Hotel, clean up, and go somewhere for a nice dinner.
    Sunday - Fly out at crack of dawn.

Sights To See
    Secret Camping Spot
    Aspen Forest
    McClure Pass
    2-3 Towns We MUST Stop At?
    Independence Pass? Or Glenwood Canyon?
    Trail Ridge Road
    Wild Basin?
    Ouzel Falls?
    Emerald Lake? Shorter Hikes
    A list of suggested proposal spots in RMNP...

Where is this? Supposedly in RMNP...reminds me of Half Dome.

Name:	IMG_6604.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	166605