Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 5 Days In Colorado - July

Re: 5 Days In Colorado - July

Maybe the first night we stay in Monarch or Gunnison National Forest. Then get up early and do a day visit at Black Canyon of GNP. Then we head and camp near McClure pass for the second night.

Here's a map of the Pass area -- www.subclub.org/monarch.JPG

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monarch.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	166148

There are a few dirt roads off the highway, up high and down lower, for possible camping places. There are a couple of official campgrounds as well.

Hey Johnathon if you take 285 West out of Denver it goes straight to Gunnison. Gunnison County has it all; Ghost towns, Hartman Rocks, Blue Mesa Reservoir, largest organism in the world (an aspen grove), groovy ski resort, wild flowers, waterfalls, West Elk Mountains, drive-able mountain passes, etc. etc. Shoot me an email and I'll give you my number. I'll give you the tour...

Jeff Michalek
    (Gunnison resident 20+ years)

Uhhh, unless they changed highway designation, in order to get to Gunnison, one heads west on US50 at Poncha Springs, leaving US285 -- see map. Staying on US285 gets you to Alamosa -- nice town, and often competing with Gunnison for the lowest overnight temperature in the US -- but definitely NOT Gunnison. But should you find yourself, by mistake, on the road to Alamosa, just stop off at the Great Sand Dunes National Park, on the way. It's every bit as scenic as the Black Canyon!
    Last edited by xkaes; 16-Jun-2017 at 11:09.

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I think for the most part my schedule is sort of locked down (need to figure out a few specific sights to make sure we see at each various point in the itinerary.

Tentative Schedule

We land Tuesday (July 18th) at 7AM. We depart Sunday (July 23rd) at 7AM.
    Tuesday - land, pick up rental car, then drive toward Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park. Spend the day in a few towns and soaking in a few sights. Maybe camp somewhere around Gunnison/Monarch/etc.
    Wednesday - Get up and make our way toward Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP. Spend the day there/make our way toward McClure Pass. Spend the night somewhere around there.
    Thursday - Wake up and spend a little time around McClure pass, then head toward Rocky Mountain National Park. Spend afternoon and night.
    Friday - Spend entire day (probably propose that evening on a hike or early Sat morning hike) and night.
    Saturday - Get up pack, hike a little and head for hotel that afternoon. Check into the Curtis Hotel, clean up, and go somewhere for a nice dinner.
    Sunday - Fly out at crack of dawn.

Sights To See

Here is a potential (rough draft) map of the trip.

PS: Still need to decide (and pick up some roll film regardless/10 pack of color 4x5 if I am taking LF) if I am gonna take the Leica/Hasselblad or Leica/4x5 Kit.
    PPS: More importantly, it looks like I will be trying to camp in RMNP for two nights. I will call tomorrow and try to see if any campgrounds are available or if it is first come/first serve or what. Definitely more pressing than my choice of camera, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by trekkin View Post
    I regret going to Maroon Bells instead on my last trip to Colo, and facing fees, huge crowds, and views that are so well known that they are almost trite.
    Thirty years ago, I made the mistake of going there. I thought I had selected an area away from the crowds. The trail was basically a highway, so I did what I always do -- I examined the topo to find an area that looked good and was OFF-TRAIL. I found one. When my friend and I got there, the little lake was basically surrounded by tents. I can't image the crowds nowadays, but I know you can no longer drive to the trailheads -- you have to take a shuttle bus. What fun. It's basically Yosemite EAST. The scenery is beautiful, but I'll never go there again!

Quote Originally Posted by appletree View Post
    PPS: More importantly, it looks like I will be trying to camp in RMNP for two nights. I will call tomorrow and try to see if any campgrounds are available or if it is first come/first serve or what. Definitely more pressing than my choice of camera, haha.
    You should contact RMNP to see if you can reserve a site. Don't be surprised if you can't. If you can, don't be surprised if it is far away from where you want to be. They have a couple of really large campgrounds that are basically like camping in a Walmart parking lot. Keep in mind that you can always just camp off of a hiking trail -- BUT YOU WILL NEED TO GET A PERMIT and follow their regulations on fires, distances, bears, etc.

There have been TWO deaths so far at Hanging Lake this year, but the Forest Service decided to make their changes BEFORE that happened. They were two completely unrelated events. The place is so overcrowded, people jumping in the lake despite the signs, crawling out on the logs despite the signs, vandalizing the rocks despite the signs, smoking pot, drinking alcohol despite the signs, acting weird, threatening people, etc. Now deaths and social media accounts of illegal activity. Even if you COULD get to it (i.e., get a ticket), it would be an unpleasant waste of time. It is now impossible to take a picture without people all over the place. How scenic!! The National Forest doesn't want to prohibit people from seeing it, but they have to do what is necessary to protect it.

Foamer

While the north is nice, my favorite places for photography are the Great Sand Dunes and the timeless Mesa Verde. I consider Mesa Verde one of the five most interesting spots in the U.S. (Yellowstone, Sequoia NP, Grand Canyon, Hawaii Volcano NP, Mesa Verde.)

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Thanks all for the advice. I know there is WAY TOO MUCH to see in a meager 4 days. I think we will try and stay more to the north this time, so we don't spread out too thin.
    And I am on hold right now with them. Seems like there are sites open at Aspenglen campgrounds. Not at Moraine. But, rather than doing it online, I figure I will talk to someone and get advice. Might get a "walk-in" tent only site. They seem a little more quiet and off the main path. But still probably can walk to a bathroom and all the things she will still appreciate.

For the "vibe" of our trip, neither of us mind some shorter day hikes. I just don't want to be hiking non-stop or photographing non-stop. When I traveled through California last winter for 2 weeks solo...I would drive, hike, camp, pull over on the side, snap some shots, take some photos during hikes or at the top of a summit, etc. I want it to be relaxing and laid back, yet at the same time...neither of us are people that want to sit in a camp chair and just relax all day. We will be up early and about and out til dinner time.