Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 5 Days In Colorado - July

Re: 5 Days In Colorado - July

Initially, on multi day/week hikes in the Sierra Nevada, I carried a collapsible 1 gallon clear plastic water container. When I found a campsite for the night – usually near a stream – the first thing I did after dropping the pack was to fill the container and put it in the sunshine to heat the water while I set-up camp and then take a “shower” before supper. I did that for a few years until I switched from the collapsible container to using the bear can which is mandatory in the sierra back-country. Now I transfer the food from the bear can into a waterproof bag that I picked-up in an army/navy store for protecting the camera equipment during wet weather and use it like I did with the collapsible. It holds more water and eliminates the bulk of the collapsible. There's nothing more refreshing than taking a shower after a days hike and sitting down to supper.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    There's nothing more refreshing than taking a shower after a days hike and sitting down to supper.

Thomas
    For me, it's taking the old boots off. I remember one hike that was so tough on my feet (off trail, of course), that when I got back to the car and took off the boots, I noticed that one of my boot heels was completley missing! My feet were so beat up, I hadn't even noticed.

Oh my!!! I can only imagine looking down to realize one heel is completely fallen off!

And yeah, I have a collapsible water container. Not sure how much is in it. But since we will only be camping out for 4 nights...I really believe we will find a shower here and there at these campgrounds.
    Now, I am forgetting my plan. Oh yeah, we will just try and find a first come/first serve campground that Thursday.

Update

Tentative Schedule
    We land Tuesday (July 18th) at 7AM. We depart Sunday (July 23rd) at 7AM.
    Tuesday - land, pick up rental car, then drive toward "Secret Camping Spot Provided via PM". It is about 5 hours from Denver. Spend the day in a few towns and soaking in a few sights. End up at Secret Camping Spot and camp there.
    Wednesday - Get up and spend the day in & around "Secret Camping Spot". Spend the day there. Probably spend a second night in the "Secret Camping Spot" as there is a lot of sites around the place.
    Thursday - Wake up and drive to McClure pass, spend a little time there, and then head toward Rocky Mountain National Park. Attempt to find a spot at Olive Ridge Campground (I need to figure out a backup plan if they too end up booked). Spend afternoon and night in the area.
    Friday - Spend entire day (probably propose that evening on a hike or early Sat morning hike) at RMNP. Things to try and see are Trail Ridge Road, Wild Basin, Ouzel Falls. Camp at Olive Ridge again.
    Saturday - Get up pack, hike a little (try and see what we missed the day before) and head for hotel in the afternoon. Check into the Curtis Hotel, clean up, and go somewhere for a nice dinner.
    Sunday - Fly out at crack of dawn.

Sights To See
    Secret Camping Spot
    Aspen Forest
    McClure Pass
    2-3 Towns We MUST Stop At?
    Independence Pass? Or Glenwood Canyon?
    Trail Ridge Road
    Wild Basin?
    Ouzel Falls?
    Emerald Lake? Shorter Hikes
    A list of suggested proposal spots in RMNP...

Where is this? Supposedly in RMNP...reminds me of Half Dome.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6604.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	166605

As to the peak, it looks a lot like Hallet (Hallett) Peak in RMNP.

As to dinner in Denver, I recommend the Old Spaghetti Factory. It's old, well-know, reasonably-priced, probably close to your hotel, great food and lots of people. Make a reservation! See if you can get one for INSIDE the trolley car!

http://www.osf.com/location/denver-co/

Parking is always a hassle downtown -- and NOT cheap -- but this might be within walking distance.

For a WILD West dining experience, try the BUCKHORN EXCHANGE. It's about one mile southwest of downtown.
    Last edited by xkaes; 28-Jun-2017 at 12:33.

Photographer

If you have a problem finding a camping spot in RMNP, try this: http://www.larimer.org/naturalresources/hermitpark.cfm

It's a Larimer county managed campground, near Estes Park.
    Keith Pitman

@xkaes, yes was able to confirm is it Hallett Peak from Dream Lake. I will probably have to take a shuttle to get to the trailhead.
    And I will check out the place you recommended. Thanks!

@Keith Pitman, thanks for the tip. Will put it as a backup location...just in case.