Thread: Voigtlander & Sohn Braunschweig Helomar 180mm f/3.5 Lens. VERY unusual. Ideas?

Question Voigtlander & Sohn Braunschweig Helomar 180mm f/3.5 Lens. VERY unusual. Ideas?

I found this lens in Berlin when I was there on business. I’ve never seen anything like it. Note the rings for focus and aperture adjustment. Looks military to me and was obviously meant for manipulation with gloved hands. Early aerial? It’s heavy too. At least 4lbs.

Love to have your ideas!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A3FC4042-E18C-466C-8AA8-BA20B161445C.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	175407

Re: Voigtlander & Sohn Braunschweig Helomar 180mm f/3.5 Lens. VERY unusual. Ideas?

According to Thiele's book, this lens was manufactured in 1914 for the camera on a balloon. So it might be used for the military survey.
    It is a 3 elements triplet lens and can cover 3 1/2 x 4 3/4 at full aperture according to Voigtlander catalog in 1914.

Re: Voigtlander & Sohn Braunschweig Helomar 180mm f/3.5 Lens. VERY unusual. Ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by lucaas View Post
    According to Thiele's book, this lens was manufactured in 1914 for the camera on a balloon. So it might be used for the military survey.
    It is a 3 elements triplet lens and can cover 3 1/2 x 4 3/4 at full aperture according to Voigtlander catalog in 1914.
    Wow. That’s so cool! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by lucaas View Post

Are these very uncommon? I’ve never seen one before. Do you have any idea what the camera looked like?

Here is the catalogue list for the Helomar (PRochnow book).

Only the two largest versions have an iris.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  

Those scalloped rings are awesome! Make some photos with that thing!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

The Heilomar was the basic lens on the early voigtlander Bessa rangefinder. This cameras was the all black version before the chrome bessa ii was produced.

I have one with the heilomar, but the focus of pretty tight so I have not had a chance to use it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    Here is the catalogue list for the Helomar (PRochnow book).

Only the two largest versions have an iris.
    Don't suppose the book has an English translation?

Steven, the catalog page you posted seems to be for narrow angle projection lenses, not for taking lenses. Am I mistaken?