Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shortening black and white film washing time?

Re: Shortening black and white film washing time?

Yesterday I did an experiment, at the end of a C-41 processing batch. I put a scrap TXP320 4x5 negative on a stainless hanger, and into a hard rubber tank filled with 100 deg F water. The rubber tank went into the C-41 tempering bath, which was about 105-107 deg F. The negative had been previously normally processed in D-76, Kodak fixer and washed in 65 deg F water. The negative remained in the 100 deg F water for one hour, after which time the in-tank temperature was 100 deg F. The negative was then "washed" for one hour in a continuously running bath of water at 62 deg F, the lowest temperature that comes from the taps in my house. At several points during the hot and cold baths I tried to rub the emulsion off the base with the pad of my thumb. It was not possible to separate the emulsion from the base in this way.

A (poor, unusable to me) image exists on the negative from a shoot months ago.

Observation:
    - no massive emulsion detachment
    - no minor emulsion detachment with the unaided eye
    - no reticulation
    - no visual defects of any kind with the unaided eye

When I have more time and if I feel like it I will scan the negative. I'm not convinced a warm wash bath is harmful to TXP. It would be nice to use a wash and rinse process for black and white, reminiscent of C-41, for the speed and quality aspects I have seen with C-41.

That's a camera?

Definitiely Hypo Clear/Permawash/Washaid/etc. Reduces washing time greatly. On the order of 50%

I started using Permawash around 1984 and still use it today. Maybe not needed but I'd rather not change what worked all these years. One minute Permawash, then I wash the film while still in the Jobo drum on the processor with multiple changes of water.

After fix (Ilford Rapid), I give a quick rinse. Then HCA (I use Fuji Quickwash), then another quick rinse. Finally, 3, 5 minute soaking periods in water. Very effective way to wash film. Very little water needed.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I started using Permawash around 1984 and still use it today. Maybe not needed but I'd rather not change what worked all these years. One minute Permawash, then I wash the film while still in the Jobo drum on the processor with multiple changes of water.
    Ditto... Have been using Permawash since the 1970's. My final wash has always been 2 minutes in a washer and then 5 changes of water one minute apart. Those negatives I processed back in the 1970's haven't degraded one bit. Temperatures of all the chemicals and the wash water 68 degrees with little variation. Last step Photo-Flo 1:200 but at a dilution of 1:400 and I use distilled water.