Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello from Ipswich, MA

Ed Freniere

Re: Hello from Ipswich, MA

Welcome to the forum, Matthew. I am another voice from New England, in nearby Tyngsboro MA. I shoot 4x5 and 8x10, as well as 6x7 and Noblex panorama. I got my first 4x5 camera almost 50 years ago, but only recently started with 8x10. I would like to meet up some time as well.

Ed

The 240 G Claron is a sweet lens as well.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Do or do not. There is no try.

Hello Matthew. I'm in North Reading, mainly use 4x5 and 6x7, and need to start using my bigger cameras more.

8x10 is a nice format, but everything about it is more/bigger/etc: costs, size, effort, etc. for contact printing it probably makes more sense than 4x5. I do enlargements so have centered around 4x5 instead. Can't go wrong either way really.

Welcome, Matthew. 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10 here, not so very far away. Someday larger.

Robert

Welcome to the forum, Matthew!

Matthew,

Welcome to the forum.

I was in you position back around 1990. I had worked in 4x5 but was starting to print in platinum/palladium and wanted to work with larger in-camera negatives. The best advice I ever got, was to spend my money on the lens rather than the box (the camera) at first. Buy an inexpensive camera test out if you like the format. The lens came be remounted on the next camera system's lensboard as you move on to a different camera if it turns out you really like the format.

If you are printing in platinum/palladium and like in-camera negatives, 8x10 will seem small after a while. It did to me and 11x14 and 8x20 cameras followed the 8x10.

Before you go down this path have you thought about digitally enlarging your MF images to make your platinum/palladium prints? There are a number of threads on here about that topic.

I have traveled around the country using an 8x10 for many years now. Depending on where I am, I tend to use certain lenses more over other lenses. Very generally speaking here's some samples:
    California: 355mm
    Colorado: 508mm
    Now here in New England...
    The Adirondacks: 300mm
    The White Mountains: 355mm
    Coast of Maine: 508mm
    Connecticut: 250mm
    The Berkshires: 300mm
    When I'm hiking around with my 8x10 Chamonix (Have used many 8x10s over the years, and the Chamonix is my overall favorite), I usually take 2 lenses with me. Here in Connecticut my 250mm and my 508mm. My most least used lens is a 120mm Nikkor, but every now and then it just fits the bill so the 120mm is my third lens to take with me. If I were going to Ipswich, I suppose I would take the same lenses as the ones I prefer to carry in Connecticut. Of course these are very personal preferences....
    If I were to have only one lens to universally carry and use, it would surely be a 12 inch (the only lens that I first used for years on my first 8x10).

Thanks to each one of you for the very warm welcome to the site. Much appreciated!!!

Welcome man, I make a lot of work up in Crane and Plum Island.

I live in Littleton, not too close but also not that bad of a hike up 495.