Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Ipswich, MA

Hello from Ipswich, MA

Hello all! My name is Matthew and I live in Ipswich, MA, which is mid-way between Boston and New Hampshire. I have not yet purchased a LF system but am just now thinking about it. What I really would like to do I *think* is to be able to contact print 8x10 on both silver and platinum/palladium. To date, I have only worked with silver-based printing in MF.

I have been looking at a Chamonix 8x10. While I am trying to read as much as I can about lenses (including all the information on the home page of this site), I have not come up with a good first lens for 8x10 or where to try to purchase that (are there alternatives to the auction site)?

In any event, I just wanted to introduce myself and to see who else is around MA and New England. I am always open to suggestions (including on the questions I raised in this post) and would love to meet some of you if there is ever a meetup or something similar.

Thanks,
    Matthew

Re: Hello from Ipswich, MA

Welcome to the forum, Matt.

Good luck pursuing an 8x10 system. I only have 4x5 gear, but here is some advice about finding LF equipment.

I have nothing but praise for KEH (KEH.com). I have bought used 35mm and LF lenses from them. They rate their used equipment very conservatively. Several "bargain" lenses appear like new to my eye. I also have high praise for B&H Photo. People have knocked Adorama, but I think they are trying hard to reverse a previous bad reputation.

I have also had excellent experiences buying LF lenses on Ebay, especially from Japanese sellers. I've gotten used Nikkors, Fuji and Schneider lenses from there. I've looked for mint condition lenses. Every one has been at an excellent price and better than advertised as far as condition. One lens had a small patch of fungus. The seller instantly refunded my money even before he received the return.

I buy other supplies from Freestyle and B&H. I live in Oceanside, CA. Freestyle has amazing delivery performance. There's a Freestyle store in Los Angeles. My orders arrive the next day -faster than Amazon delivers, and that's saying something.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Rich14 View Post
    I have nothing but praise for KEH (KEH.com). I have bought used 35mm and LF lenses from them. They rate their used equipment very conservatively. Several "bargain" lenses appear like new to my eye. I also have high praise for B&H Photo. People have knocked Adorama, but I think they are trying hard to reverse a previous bad reputation.
    Totally and completely agree with you about KEH. I bought my Hasselblad and Mamiya systems there. Strange though - is it just me, or does there inventory seem super low these days? I don't whether there has been an uptick in interest in analog gear or whatever else, but it just seems like they have much less in stock than they did a few years ago when I purchased my MF systems. Their rating system is wonderful, though. Completely agree.

Good to know that the auction site can be trusted. Wasn't completely sure as I have just never really purchased from there.

Thanks for the welcome!

-Matthew

Matt,
    Most LF photographers hauling and using their equipment outdoors prefer a folding flat bed camera, like the Chamonix that you have your eye on. I have the Chamonix 45N-2, and it is by far the best of the five other 4x5 camera I have owned. Rigid. Easy controls. Also, you might find equipment on Craigslist/Boston area. When visiting family in the Bay Area (CA, not MA), I check Craigslist. I have found 2 very, very good deals in that market--a 16x20 drymount press and a 16x20 print washer. Worth checking.

And welcome to this place! Every week I learn something new here. You might be able to hook up with some LFers in Mass, and have fun with them.
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

multiplex

hi matthew
    im in RI, but i lived in the boston area for years ..
    hunt photo in melrose used to have a thing around november/december
    when they would sell all the used gear they bought at the expo. some really good deals to be had.
    also keep your eyes peeled for the photographica show in april ( phsne / photographic historic society of new england )
    lots and lots of used cameras+lense with dealers with tables.

have fun !

Hello and welcome.
    Selecting a first 8x10 lens can be daunting.
    For modern lenses, Fuji seem to be the most sought after and while I don't personally own one, from what I've seen in others work, the quality and affordability is impressive.
    One of my first 8x10 lenses is the 14" Commercial Ektar and for me, it was (and still is) real workhorse.
    I think there is a lot of good choices, but with used lenses I find that condition is everything.
    When you can access the FS section here, I think you'll find quite a few trustworthy sellers.
    Keh, as other have mentioned, is excellent.
    Additionallly, I think Igor Camera has a very good selection and might be worth checking out:
    http://www.igorcamera.com/large_format_lenses.htm
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Hi,

Seacoast nh here, only shooting 4x5 but maybe we can meet up sometime.

Welcome to the group,

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    ...only shooting 4x5...
    Thanks, Ed, for the welcome. Quick question here - I have always kind of thought I would jump in directly to 8x10, but should I consider 4x5? I'm a big guy so carrying the weight should not be a real issue and its not like I am hiking long distances for my shots. Again, I have always thought about contact printing 8x10, but am wondering if that is not the right entry point into LF.

-Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Collins View Post
    And welcome to this place!
    Thanks, Peter! And MGOBlue!!!

-Matthew (born and raised in AA)

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumFu View Post
    Quick question here - I have always kind of thought I would jump in directly to 8x10, but should I consider 4x5? I'm a big guy so carrying the weight should not be a real issue and its not like I am hiking long distances for my shots. Again, I have always thought about contact printing 8x10, but am wondering if that is not the right entry point into LF.
    It's a wonderful entry point into LF - not for everybody, but if that's what your heart is set on, go for it. That's how I started, more than 20 years ago now - 8x10, contact printed - and contact prints, albeit in a variety of formats now, are still where the magic is for me.

Welcome to the Forum!