Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: anyone shoot tmax400 at 100 speed?

anyone shoot tmax400 at 100 speed?

anyone shoot tmax400 at 100 speed? on purpose??

for some reason.. when I first started shooting 5x7, I bought 4 boxes of tmax 400.... which went straight to the freezer as I ended up only shooting 100 asa film.. in studio/ shallow dof and all that

so.. before cracking one open to try various developing schemes with it to see if I like.. is anyone doing this on purpose and if so..do you have any examples??

thanks

Re: anyone shoot tmax400 at 100 speed?

Why...nothing to gain
    Shoot box speed

Does Tmax 400 transmit UV light well? I think I heard there are serious problems with Tmax 100 that way and I think the OP does a lot of UV required alt printing.

I once did a speed test and (due to vignetting) came up with the insane film speed result of 64. So on the John Muir Trail, I shot it at 64.

I've never been happier with negatives than I am with those from that trip, the mistake didn't hurt any picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr. Mark View Post
    Does Tmax 400 transmit UV light well? I think I heard there are serious problems with Tmax 100 that way and I think the OP does a lot of UV required alt printing.
    Tmax 400 transmits UV, unlike Tmax 100 which attenuates it.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTang View Post
    anyone shoot tmax400 at 100 speed? on purpose??

for some reason.. when I first started shooting 5x7, I bought 4 boxes of tmax 400.... which went straight to the freezer as I ended up only shooting 100 asa film.. in studio/ shallow dof and all that

so.. before cracking one open to try various developing schemes with it to see if I like.. is anyone doing this on purpose and if so..do you have any examples??

thanks

of course, you do that for N-2 development, a common situation you use that is for very contrasty scenes specially if you are to obtain a darkroom print rather than scanningul

it is also useful to get shadow detail

Just read Beyond the zone system bookgook

What is shooting at iso 100 depends on how you meter. A very skilled phoyographer just knows the density he will obtain in every area of the negative, so BTZS is key information

Every ISO is different for every film, AND because every film is exposed with different equipment and developed with a different developer with different agitation, dilution, temperature, etc. So before using a new film I determine the correct ISO for the way I expose it and develop it. Usually, I end up exposing film around half of what the box says -- but not always. For example, with AGFAPAN APX 100, I usually shoot it at ISO 20. I was surprised, but that's still 2/3rds of a stop faster than what I normally shoot AGFAPAN APX 25 -- at ISO 12.

I remember several years ago when I was taking a picture by the side of a hiking trail. An obviously 35mm photographer was coming down the trail and asked me what speed film I used in that strange beast. I said ISO 12. She said, "You mean ISO 1200?" I said, "No, ISO 12." I'm sure it took her a while to forget about our encounter!

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    I remember several years ago when I was taking a picture by the side of a hiking trail. An obviously 35mm photographer was coming down the trail and asked me what speed film I used in that strange beast. I said ISO 12. She said, "You mean ISO 1200?" I said, "No, ISO 12." I'm sure it took her a while to forget about our encounter!

I seen a similar situation, my friends (digital photographers) were surprised and asked me about the ISO of my DIY dry plates. ISO 0.3... When they saw a crop of the image one asked me again... what ISO did you say ?

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Every ISO is different for every film . . . I normally shoot AGFAPAN APX 25 -- at ISO 12 . . .
    Well, not exactly. The ISO rating for any film is always the same - a sensitometric value the manufacturer determined according to a set of standards established by the International Organization for Standards.

We determine our own personal Exposure Index (EI) for each film based on the characteristics of our equipment and processing variables. If my exposure meter is less sensitive than it should be, if my shutter speeds are not accurate, if I agitate film during processing too fast, my particular EI for a film with an ISO of 100 may be something other than 100. Or it may actually be 100 - all the inaccuracies may cancel each other.

You may rate Tmax 400 at EI 50 and I may rate it at EI 800. But it still has an ISO of 400 in your hands or mine.

/Pedantic Mode

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Rich14 View Post
    You may rate Tmax 400 at EI 50 and I may rate it at EI 800. But it still has an ISO of 400 in your hands or mine.
    Give me a break. The "standards" are not set in concrete, let alone gold. You're caveats, just like mine, prove that, doubly. And the fact that the official, "set in stone standards" have changed over time, and the manufacturer rating of the same film has changed over time, shows that. The "standard" is just a good starting point.