Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best easy to use tank for developing 4x5 sheets

Re: Best easy to use tank for developing 4x5 sheets

Thanks everyone for input,very helpful answers !

I use the MOD54 and after lots of practice and error finally got the hang of it and am now able to load 6 sheets without problems. Just when things are going well the SP-445 comes out and I couldn't help it and bought two. I also have the Paterson Orbital but I use that for 5x7 and 8x10 but I can imagine 4 sheets of 4x5 would be insanely easy.

Jobo used to make a loading device for these reels, and I found it easy to use. I think it is discontinued. See: http://www.catlabs.info/product/jobo...for-2509-reels

You might find one used, and it will help quite a bit if you don't already have one. If you have one, it's a matter of making sure the reel is in position such that you fill the reel in order that subsequent sheets are subsequent clicks of the loader. You need to apply slight downward pressure on the reel while turning it during loading.

I use the Jobo with inversion agitation, with an empty reel above the loaded one, in a dual-reel tank. Otherwise it's too heavy for inversion for me.

David Schaller

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Strack View Post
    Jobo used to make a loading device for these reels, and I found it easy to use. I think it is discontinued. See: http://www.catlabs.info/product/jobo...for-2509-reels

You might find one used, and it will help quite a bit if you don't already have one. If you have one, it's a matter of making sure the reel is in position such that you fill the reel in order that subsequent sheets are subsequent clicks of the loader. You need to apply slight downward pressure on the reel while turning it during loading.

I use the Jobo with inversion agitation, with an empty reel above the loaded one, in a dual-reel tank. Otherwise it's too heavy for inversion for me.
    I also just do the Jobo with inversion. The guide to load the reels makes it pretty easy, so if you don't have one, I think it's worth finding. As with everything, a little practice is necessary.

Another very happy SP-445 user.
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Oakley View Post
    Patterson Orbital trays with the electric motor are Gods gift!
    Do you not find too much agitation with it? I was given one and have only used it for 5x7 and whole plate xray film manually agitating it.

Pete Oakley

redrockcoulee, I use mine for 4x5,5x7 and 8x10 and I've never had a problem. I use mainly Foma film. I have about 4 or 5 trays so I can pre load quite a lot of 4x5. It's a great system.
    Pete

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Hi ,i have a Jobo 2521 tank and i have hard time loading the film shits in to the reel...
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ding+Jobo+2521

Practice in the light and then in the dark (close your eyes) with a trash negative and you will quickly get the idea. Once you have it down loading the reel is straight forwarded. The 2521 is very useful for processing up to 6 sheets of B&W (I mostly use it when I have more than 10 sheets to develop),and C-41 - which require a greater volume of chemistry. If you use photo-flo, start with a new reel and apply the photo-flo off the reel (I use a plastic file box). Over time the photo-flo will build-up on one the reel ridges and leave a section of low density on the negative if processing by the hand inversion method. If that happens switch to machine rotation and the problem will disappear.

Thomas

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

A quick addendum to the above post:

One of the reasons that a sheet will slip out of its slot is that if it not inserted perfectly straight an edge can catch on one side of the reel and cause the sheet to pop out of place. You can prevent this by grasping both sides of the reel with 2 fingers at the point where you can feel the edge of the film keeping the sheet on track.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Oakley View Post
    redrockcoulee, I use mine for 4x5,5x7 and 8x10 and I've never had a problem. I use mainly Foma film. I have about 4 or 5 trays so I can pre load quite a lot of 4x5. It's a great system.
    Pete
    I also use this system, with the motor drive. I have an SP-445, but it takes more chemical and more watching, as it requires manual agitation. With continous agitation you must reduce developing times (Freestyle recommends 15% for Foma). If you overfill an orbital you can get uneven development from swirl caused by developer hitting the fins on the top of the try, and some people avoid that by cutting off the fins. Ilford films need more developer than Shanghai (I don't know why), but you still are only talking about 200ml for four sheets.