Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Question On Subject Brightness Range

Re: Question On Subject Brightness Range

My second year instructor was a good friend of Mr Karsh , I was lucky enough to meet him at our school when he visited George Lazi . As well a student Dean Macdonell worked at Karsh Studios for a period of time.

Not sure if mentioned here, but Red Coccine was used to open up shadow detail and pencil retouching was applied in all the printing for Mr Karsh. There is a reason why he gets the sparkle so to speak.

My first boss Slobodan Filipovich was a master of Red Coccine like many, many of the European Photographers that came to North America
    after World War 11.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Red Coccine was used to open up shadow detail and pencil retouching was applied in all the printing for Mr Karsh.

Red Coccine and a pencil... these tools is what defines what a master is. Today we have tons of supercomputing power, and no portrait like those.

We still have people making great portraits, don't kid yourself thinking otherwise.

We still have people making great portraits, don't kid yourself thinking otherwise.
    Yes, great portraits, but not like those, IMHO. Technically perfect, aesthetically perfect, perfect illumination, perfect (14") perspective, perfect toe, perfect highlights, perfect volumes, perfect defocus, perfect depth, perfect chiaroscuro, perfect psycho, ...and perfect subjects !

Pulling Churchill's cigar to make him look like that... britons got the message, and nazis understood they were not going to surrender.

One thing is taking a photograph of a face, another one is to photograph the soul.

I'm still a green learner, but as I know the more about portrait I feel the more that YK was the single one of a kind.

I am not a big fan of his work, yes there are some great historic images, but get past Churchill and he has a weird way of posing with the hands which I find quite silly. I would take August Sanders portraits any day of the week.

I am not a big fan of his work, yes there are some great historic images, but get past Churchill and he has a weird way of posing with the hands which I find quite silly. I would take August Sanders portraits any day of the week.
    There a lot of brilliant portrait photographers, of course, I like a lot Newton in the fashion side. But with YK I see the 3D in a very special way, I feel the volumes like if it was about stereo images.

I think he only respected 3 subjects, with true solemnity: Mother Theresa, Mandela and Queen Elisabeth II. In this order.

With others I see a big deal of irony and humor.

Kennedy was karshed as if it was his First Communion, when he was a happy womanizer...

Andy, with big brush, Bardot vs Audrey (different way to have sex?) , Picasso with his big nose always near to a naked woman A lot showed insane proud from their achievements, or their narcissism, like Castro...

All that irony makes smile...

Mother Theresa portrait is the one I like the more. Soul can be seen. She was a humble person, and my guess is that he used humble light to make that soul shine the most.

No other portrait of Theresa shows that plain goodness.