Thread: mounting lens on d2 omega

mounting lens on d2 omega

Good evening, today I picked up an Omega D2 enlarger used, with out a lens. My plans are to use it for 35mm and 4x5. I have a 75mm lens that I use on my B22 Omega and a 135mm that I use on my Burke and James 4x5 enlarger. Now the D2 has alens cone on it , so can I mount the 75mm lens on it or will it take a flat mounting plate. I really like the information I get from you all . Thanks

Probably the best place you could go for information would be Classic Enlargers. That guy has been using, servicing, and rebuilding Omega enlargers for decades, and is the most expert fellow I know on the subject. He runs a forum from his website, and also sells user manuals for reasonable prices (along with every other part you could want-- some of them at slightly higher than reasonable prices).

James, I have a D2V XL which I use with an 80mm and 135mm lenses, no lens cone needed. It's a great and reliable machine, but for large format I suggest getting a diffuser light head from Aristo or even a color head. Condenser heads are more suited for 35mm. I follow on Ed's suggestion, also check photo.net forums and glennview.com for D2 stuff. Cheers

I also advice on mounting the enlarger directly on your table. Mounted on the base board, my D2 with XL arms (or bars) was a bit prone to vibrations.

For use of the complete focusing range, 50mm lens goes on a flat plate, 75/100 on a 1 or 1 1/4 cone, 135 on a 3 in cone, and a 150 on a 5 in cone.

Lenses mounted any other way will compromise the focusing range at either the short or long end. A cone too short will not allow small prints, too long will not allow large prints.

You can probably get away with an extension tube for the 75mm lens on a flat plate.

I know if I wait long enough I will get enough information . You guys are great, Thanks

Definitely contact Harry at Classic Enlargers and get the manual for your D2. Also, you may need another set of condensers. Depending on which ones your enlarger came with, the condenser set for 35mm will not cover 4x5 regardless fo your lens. There were some D models with a variable condenser (I have one of each), if you have the variable condenser you wont need to buy other condenser glass. Also, use the correct bulb-your enlarger takes a 75 watt bulb (the bulb number is written on the enlarger head somewhere). Soetimes people put 100 watt bulbs in there and will burn up the socket. And you dont need a cold light head for 4x5-some people just perfer it.
    Omega D2's are nice enlargers-enjoy

multiplex

you might look for s variable focusing bellows, its intended use is for making jewel prints, but they are a handy way to avoid cones ( and for the auto-focus models) rails.

harry (the omega-man) might have one ...

good luck!