Thread: Jobo processing issue with 5x7 film

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Jobo processing issue with 5x7 film

Has anyone who is processing 5x7 film in a Jobo experienced the following issue?

A sheet of film will overlap itself during processing, causing a large minus-density blemish in one corner (see the attached contact sheet, where the bottom negative has the blemish in the lower left corner). Sometimes the blemish is about twice that size.

I am confident that it is not a loading problem: the film was correctly oriented before processing.

In a recent batch, 4 out of 34 negatives were afflicted. It doesn't occur that often, but Murphy's Law assures that it will happen to the most important negatives (unlike this test example).

I have been processing 5x7 film in a Jobo since about 1999. I have seen this film overlapping issue occur about the same percentage of the time since I started. I have never seen it happen with 4x5, but I haven't processed that much 4x5.

Any suggestions? I am using the rotary speed specified in the manual. Ditto for the volume of chemistry. I am using the six-sheet drum intended for 4x5 and 5x7 film. I have thought of slowing the rotary speed and increasing the developing time. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00326.jpg