Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Affordable" 11x14 camera ?

"Affordable" 11x14 camera ?

Eric - Thanks for the info. Badger Graphics, whose prices are always competitive, lists an 11x14 Tachihara for just under $6000. Perhaps Midwest Photo Exchange was eager to clear their inventory at that time, and the camera was "priced to move", as they say.

Hi Ken,
    I have a new 11x14 Wisner "P" in for repairs that will be for sale shortly as the customer wants a 35 lb WA 11x14 instead. The front bed got damaged (banged) in Europe before he even used it once. It is now at the Wisner factory being brought up to spec and the only wear will be small tripod marks from the couple of times it was on the pod. This essentially is a new camera. Never had a sheet of film through it. It will go for the old price or thereabouts. Wisner has been raising his prices this year on ULF. Let me know if you are interested. It should be ready in the late summer time frame. Emile/www.deleon-ulf.com

No info yet Ken on the Chinn camera...no www yet either...but I think someone I know is taking delivery soon of one..I sent an email to verify and will post back when I hear..
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

I had to smile as I read C. Perez's posting - when I built my first LF camera over 25 years ago, it was an 11X14 done as a series of nesting boxes (birch plywood) with felt light-seals. The back did have a short square bellows with some positioners for limited movements (like those on a Technika), but it was pretty basic - and weighed a ton! The nesting boxes are now enjoying new life - having been pressed into service as window-boxes for plants!

I have a B&J 11x14 which is a very capable camera with great movements. In any case, most used "classic" cameras in decent condition usually sell between $1000 and $1500 or so. Add on good lens (say a 450 Nikkor-M or a 355mm G-Claron) and two used film holders (if you can find them) and you are easily at $2500. Not for the weak of wallet, but certainly cheaper than a new one.

I purchased mine from Photogizzmo in NY, and suppose that other than eBay the best route to finding one would be to slowly and methodologically call or email as many stores as you can. Now and then I see them listed on the various forum for-sale lists (photonet, APUG, as well as Michael and Paula's).

If you are interested in a monorail 11x14 I have a Cambo with both regular and bag bellows for sale. $2200.00. It also has an 8x10 back included.

If you're willing to get an older camera that might need some work, there are 11x14" cameras to be had for under $1000. It's the filmholders that will get you, even if you find an "affordable" camera.

I paid around $550 for my 1890's American Optical 11x14" camera--a wooden flatbed with geared rear swing, front rise/fall and tilt, reversible back and geared focusing. I'm going to replace the bellows, which will be a few hundred dollars. I had to make a minor adjustment to the back and I'll repair some bed cracks, which cost me my own time. I bought two S&S holders new (you can check Quality Camera for the current price), and two Hoffman holders for about $150 each.

I too have an 11x14 Burke and James that I acquired used for about $1700 IIRC off eBay after searching for about 16 months. Your best bet if interested in a B&J is to keep in touch with Midwest Photo as they do get them in periodically and sell them between $1500-$1700. I thought they had one in stock as recently as last month. MPEX is also a good source for used holders.

Also check the classifieds and dealer ads in View Camera magazine.

Very recently Camera West had an 11x14 deGolden Busch for sale around the $2000 mark IIRC. I don't think it sold.

I also have an 11x14 Rochester View for which I paid under $900 a few years ago. It is a very light camera compared to other 11x14s, but has limited bellows extension of around 15"-16" maximum. Lensboards needed are 5 3/4" square. This limits you to small, wide-angle lens designs (my 210mm Angulon barely covers the format) under 360mm at infinity, and to pretty much wide landscape application. Still, some would find this an ideal 11x14 camera because of its portability and low weight. I don't need it any longer since acquiring the 11x14 B&J so I would consider selling it for near what I paid for it. It does need a minor repair and it has a few cosmetic blemishes. Email me offlist if interested.

wfwhitaker

I second David's advice regarding the cost of film holders. New 11x14 holders are four times as expensive as new 8x10 holders. Used ones are difficult to find and usually not much of a bargain. More than once I've seen used 11x14 holders on Ebay go for as much as new ones - or more. If affordability is important, as you suggest, then holders may be a deal killer, unless you can get by with one or two.

I remember well John Layton's "nesting box" 11x14. In fact, I still even have a negative made with it! As he said, it was "basic". But it worked! Thanks, John, for getting me into this mess! :-)

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I have two construction projects this summer- building a small shop building in the backyard and building a 20x24 camera. In my trips out to buy materials and hardware for both, it often runs through my mind that while we talk of cameras as "tools," we insist on craftsmanship and fine materials that go far, far beyond that. Construction and materials close to what goes into a building would generally suffice for practical use.

The 20x24 bellows was framed out in maple when I got it, so I feel committed to that material for this project. But I'm watching for an 11x14 or panorama bellows for a possible future project. I'd like to build a camera using clear 3/4" redwood and construction-clip style hardware just to see how simple a design could be useful.

The possible panorama, btw, would be 9.5"x???" (18" to 24") to accept the Kodak aerographic roll film cut down to sheets. Even the thickest base available (3.9 mil?) might be too thin to be comfortably workable, though. Otherwise, I'm surprised I haven't heard of anyone making a camera, espescially a panoramic camera, just for that film.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."