Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Affordable" 11x14 camera ?

"Affordable" 11x14 camera ?

A quick glance reveals that somewhere around $ 6,000 US represents a low price for a new 11x14 camera. Is anyone familiar with a brand that comes in below that amount ?

Or, for that matter, other than eBay, where one can find used 11x14 cameras ?

Remember the theme song to old TV show "The Jeffersons" ? It was "Movin' on up".

Question is, how low are you willing to go?

If you can find an 11x14 back with film holders, you'll probably be out around $500.

Then, build a box with-in a box and mount your lens on the front and your back on the, well, back. Materals: another $50.

I'll bet you could have the cheapest functional "new" 11x14 camera on the block! :-)

I am in the same boat and there just aren't that many options as you have found. The folks at Bender have toyed with the idea of scaling up their 8x10 but have not had enough requests to make it viable. So i have decided to build my own: I am starting with 8x10 to see if I can do it as I have 2 lenses and film holders are plentiful. At $300 a pop getting a couple of 11x14 holders then finding out I just can't muster the energy and skill to complete the project is more pain than I wish to incurr. I feel it is possible though as many have done it in the past: #1 don't expect it to pass for a beautiful piece of funrniture like one of the many factory made units#2 set realistic design goals i.e. usuability, stability etc. #3 if you don't have the woodworking tools to begin with then look for a cheap used one as the investment in tools will more than likely offset any savings. I am an experienced woodworker and machinist so I have the skills and tools. Good luck

Hi Ken,

Are you looking for a view camera or a studio camera? I have one Deardorff studio camera with a 11x14 back and a 8x10 revolving back for sale. Again it is a studio camera, and it is quite impractical to haul it around. But there is a will there is a way...

Contact me off list if you are interested.

Warmly,

Tsuyoshi

Check out Jim Chinn on www.apug.org.
    He's building various sized ULF's for about 2K that come with lensboards and two filmholders.
    A few on that forum have taken posession (I think) of the first production units.
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

Chris - Very clever ! :-)

Ron - Get busy, and perhaps you could make a few extras.

Matt: I found some recent postings, but nothing concrete about his cameras. Could you provide a link ? I sent him an email, expressing my interest.

Tsuyoshi: Good question. I am looking for something portable, rather than a camera that might be too robust for travel.

Ken: I"m still in the design stage but have plans to make it convertible to 7x17 also.....the problem is I have injured my hand making lensboards for my B&J 5x7...I got my left ring finger tangled up in the planer and am looking at about a years rehab! But as soon as I can get this splint off I'll be back at it. I will take copius photo's of the process along with the finished product to pass along to whoever is interested.

The Wisner Traditional 11x14 (www.wisner.com/Page7.html) retails for $4,400. Of course, Mr. Wisner has a controversial history with some members of this forum, maybe going through a dealer might be a better way to deal with him?

Tachihara is another potential route (price was around $2995 per this thread: www.largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/topic/500292.html) but that unit is reportedly relatively heavy.

Shen Hao apparently does not do ULF right now, but maybe you should check with Midwest Photo or Badger Graphic to see if anything is cooking there.....

I had a wonderful Burk & James 11x14 once---I think MidWest sells them for $1600 when they have them. With $200ea for 11x14 film holders "if and when" you can find them, it got to be too expensive a game for me. Lovely format though.

Good luck!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Unfortunately, the Tachihara 11x14 weighs around 30 pounds, and costs about $6000 via special order through Badger. There was one demo unit that Midwest had for a long time and finally sold at around $3000.