Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truck drivin out west

Truck drivin out west

At the end of the month I'm going to be driving a Uhaul truck from Los Angeles to Denver to deliver some theatre scenery. I've only got two days to make the trip so I can't make any big detours. I've driven all around the southwest and the northwest, but never through Utah and western Colorado. Where should I stop along the way for some photo opportunities? Will I be allowed to drive a 15' truck thru national parks/forests?

I'll also be driving the same scenery from Denver to Philadelphia in September, also taking recommendations for detours on that trip.
    aaronamodt.com

Re: Truck drivin out west

If I had hired you I would be alarmed that you would take time off to pursue your own interests. When you do that, you introduce an opportunity for complications that could make you fail to deliver on time.

Don't bring your pinhole... The exposures will take too long... ;-)

Enjoy the ride!!!

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by baronvonaaron View Post
    At the end of the month I'm going to be driving a Uhaul truck from Los Angeles to Denver to deliver some theatre scenery. I've only got two days to make the trip so I can't make any big detours. I've driven all around the southwest and the northwest, but never through Utah and western Colorado. Where should I stop along the way for some photo opportunities? Will I be allowed to drive a 15' truck thru national parks/forests?

I'll also be driving the same scenery from Denver to Philadelphia in September, also taking recommendations for detours on that trip.
    I haven't taken that route but, I like how you think. Get the job done and everybody needs to stop from time to time....why not stand behind a camera when you do..........

Take the most beautiful road in the US -- UTAH Route 12 (https://www.scenicbyway12.com/). It runs from Bryce Canyon NP to Capitol Reef NP. I first drove it when it was a dirt road. Now it is a wide, paved road. No problem for a 15' truck -- except that you will want to stop every five minutes to take pictures!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	utah12.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	165738

Uhhhh, makes that every TWO minutes!

Let's see... drive time from Los Angeles to Denver along the I15 to I70 route is 16 to 20 hours in a UHaul. While there are some quick off and ons just north of St George in southwest Utah I would recommend simply pushing the first day to Grand Junction, CO then get up early and take some photos climbing up the 70 past Vail and around the summit of the pass before heading down into Denver. There are no quick routes through Zion and Route 12 is nice but can be slow. At least an extra 2 hours of driving time added to the schedule.
    Ric
    Ric Raymond
    Blue Heron Images

If you are driving on Interstate 70 through Grand Junction Colorado, Colorado National Monument is well worth the short detour and a great place for photos. It's your best bet on I-70.

Ok good notes, I'll consider pushing on to CO. the scenic byway also looks gorgeous.

the people paying me know that I'm a photographer and have encouraged quick stops. adding a couple hours seems reasonable. I spent 3 years on tour with Ringling bros driving vans and RVs, so I've got a pretty good intuition for ETAs. haha if we didnt make detours on that job we'd all have gone more crazy then we were when we started.
    aaronamodt.com

Keep in mind that the Utah route 12 is basically traveling the hypotenuse of a triangle created by I-15 and I-70. So it is shorter as the crow flys, but a bit longer as the shutterbug snaps.

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Off I-70 on 191 Arches National Park and Canyonlands National Park
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.