Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wildflowers in San Juan Mountians?

Re: Wildflowers in San Juan Mountians?

The State has a new web service with maps and info on the 38,000 miles of trails in Colorado. It is at:

http://cpw.state.co.us/cts

I cannot provide a review as I have not used it since most of my backpacking & photography is off-trail. I do this not only to get to places that others have not photographed, but to avoid the too numerous questions, like, "Is that a camera?" or "Are you Ansel Adams?" -- while I am in the middle of mental calculations.

Eric Biggerstaff

Heck, rent a 4 wheel drive from Lake City and head over Engineer Pass for a day, should be wonderful in July. We had a lot of late season snow but run off will be hitting very soon.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

I hope you don't mind traffic jams.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jeepjam.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	165777

Eric Biggerstaff

Might not be too bad during the week, weekends can be nuts but even then you can find nice spots. At least, I have always been able to. Of course, as we live here, we can pick and choose when we go (which is nice).
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    More tips. First, stay away from the Durango Silverton Railroad and Chicago Basin. I'm sure it/them will be highly suggested to you. It is a beautiful area, but you will NEVER get a seat on the railroad at this point (it is ONLY accessible by train) and the place is busier than Yosemite Valley. Also avoid the Continental Divide Trail which is busier than Grand Central Station -- after the snow melts. Have at least some general ideas about where you want to go (ALWAYS have a PLAN B). Before you arrive, call/email the area (National Park, Forest, BLM, etc.) and ask where the snow level is. Ask if the trail(s) you plan on hiking are open. Stay well below the snow level if you want flowers. If you are going into a wilderness area there will probably be a "backcountry office/ranger" that you should contact. Depending on where you are camping you might need a permit -- and these might be limited to a small number. No kidding. Lastly, if you run into any nasty people, just say "HELLO" -- more likely than not, they are from California (or recent transplants).
    My ex and I stayed in the Gunnison area about 15 summers while we 4-wheeled in the San Juans. We loved the town of Gunnison so much that we subscribed to the local paper. The main complaints to the editor that we read were concerning the people from Texas buying up and elevating real estate prices so much that the locals were priced out of the market if they wanted to upgrade. No surprise to me, as license plates from Texas were everywhere.

EAST of the Divide it's the Texas plates that stand out. On the WEST divide, it's the Californian plates that predominate. These are two of the reasons why I prefect Wyoming and New Mexico. There, you are more likely to see antelope and road runners.

It's gotten so intense in Colorado that there are now ads on TV for empty land in Wyoming -- only $75,000 for 30 acres of flat barren sage brush. What a deal! They sell the parcels at less than 35 acres because at over 35 acres the owners get the water rights.
    Last edited by xkaes; 5-Jun-2017 at 15:44.

I will be in Colorado in late July thru early August and am thinking of the Engineer Pass and Cinnamon Pass loop. And during the week. Are there places to camp on the National Forest lands?

Quote Originally Posted by David Lobato View Post
    Are there places to camp on the National Forest lands?
    There are a ton of places to camp. First, are the official Forest Service or BLM campgrounds. There's a LOT of BLM land in the San Juans.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blmcamp.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	165780

They normally charge a fee and you usually get some sort of service, such as a flat place for a tent, a picnic table, a fireplace pit, RV electricity, water, an outhouse, etc. Fees vary depending on the services that are provided, and they always tend to fill up fast. You can also camp anywhere on Forest Service or BLM land, on your own, but there are restrictions, such as being 1/4 mile away from a road, 100 feet from any stream or trail, campfire restrictions, etc. These vary from location to location. Just check with the ranger station if that's how you want to go.