Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: tripod weight rating?

Re: tripod weight rating?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    This has been my understanding also. What does not get divulged is the margin on those ratings.
    That's been my understanding also Brian, the point I was trying to make is that everyone wants a nice "light" tripod to go hiking with their 4x5. To me, a light tripod is not going to steady a camera as well as a "real tripod". I'll take my Ries any day! Does anyone have experience with the A200 head mod?

I have CF Gitzo Traveler with an FLM head. Great. light weight, perfectly fine for my Technika, my 5 x 7 Agfa-Ansco or even my 8 x 10 Seneca. And it fits in my carry on bag. Wouldn't even try it for my 8 x 10 Linhof Kardan-bi, but then again I'd need a pack mule to carry the camera itself more than 20 feet from the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
    I have CF Gitzo Traveler with an FLM head. Great. light weight, perfectly fine for my Technika, my 5 x 7 Agfa-Ansco or even my 8 x 10 Seneca. And it fits in my carry on bag. Wouldn't even try it for my 8 x 10 Linhof Kardan-bi, but then again I'd need a pack mule to carry the camera itself more than 20 feet from the car.
    Hey, if William Henry Jackson could do it, over 100 years ago, with 16x20 glass plates to boot, what's stopping you?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	whjackson.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	165502

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Didn't Jackson have mules AND "porters"?

On my tripods, all of which have center columns, the most suspicious point to me is the column to head connection. If one ever breaks, I'm pretty sure that's where it will happen. Most of the rest is overbuilt and understressed.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

To me, the concepts of "good" and "inexpensive" are mutually exclusive when it comes to tripods. There was an episode of "How It's Made" that showed the construction of a tripod, and with all the steps invovled, it's easy to see why they are so expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post
    On my tripods, all of which have center columns, the most suspicious point to me is the column to head connection. If one ever breaks, I'm pretty sure that's where it will happen. Most of the rest is overbuilt and understressed.
    Yes, and for better or worse I have tried to replace all columns with a flat platform for the head, even on a preposterous Zone VI tripod, using a 1/4" aluminum replacement I had contracted to be made. I am very happy now with a Feisol tripod with their flat replacement for a column.

Maybe I should post a picture of the atrocious Zone VI tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Tripod weight ratings are based on the design and configuration of the legs.

The legs don't care whether a load is on top or hanging below. It's still a load.

- Leigh
    That's my understanding too. It would be illogical to think otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Strack View Post
    To me, the concepts of "good" and "inexpensive" are mutually exclusive when it comes to tripods.
    To me, the concepts of "good" and "expensive" are not mutually inclusive when it comes to tripods.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    You must be referring to all those Leica 35mm users that paid $1,200 in 1977 for a Elmar 80-200mm zoom that was made by Minolta -- which was selling it for $400. Or maybe you are referring to the proud owners of the expensive Leica R3 and R4 SLRs that were rebadged Minolta XE-7 and XD-11 SLRs -- selling for about 1/8th the price. Or the numerous Contax users who paid thousands more for Tomioka-made Yashica lenses. Here's what someone on a Yashica discussion forum recently said:

"You are right about Contax users dismissing Yashica lenses at the time (I'm talking 1970s-late 80s). To my shame I was one of them; it hurts to think just how much money I could have saved if I had not been so wedded to Zeiss' glass - I spent over £9400 on Zeiss lenses from 1977 to 1984 - that's around £43000 in today's money."

I could go on, but right now I'm too busy -- trying to sell a bridge in Brooklyn. Any interest?
    Hey! You take care of your money and I'll take care of mine, ok?

I saved it and I'll spend it on exactly what my wife wants!!!

The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan