Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: tripod weight rating?

tripod weight rating?

Does the tripod weight rating include when you hang a bag under it for more stability? Like if a tripod has 5KG of weight limit does it mean what's on the top? I want to hang a bag under the tripod for added stability so was wonder if the weight limit is mean for only what's mounted.

Re: tripod weight rating?

I assume it means the weight of the camera. How much you can "bag" underneath is another matter. I have a Gitzo Reporter Performance, which Gitzo rates as "GOOD" for 4x5 cameras, but I normally hang 25-30 pounds of gear in my bag underneath. I do this regularly because it keeps my gear together and within easy reach, but it also helps with stability -- especially in the wind. Before I took this approach, I would have "stuff" spread out all over the place, and have actually left some things behind by mistake -- fortunately, nothing valuable!

Just check to see if the legs of your tripod bend severely when you "bag" them. You don't want to permanently bend the legs.
    Last edited by xkaes; 27-May-2017 at 08:39.

I had a Gitzo Studex -- overkill for my 2.5 pound 4x5. Down in the Grand Canyon, I hung a couple backpacks on it over night (to keep them away from rodents). In the morning, one of the legs had broken -- at the threads where the metal was thinner. The leg was replaced for free, but it taught me that there are limits!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I had a Gitzo Studex -- overkill for my 2.5 pound 4x5. Down in the Grand Canyon, I hung a couple backpacks on it over night (to keep them away from rodents). In the morning, one of the legs had broken -- at the threads where the metal was thinner. The leg was replaced for free, but it taught me that there are limits!
    Oh wow, that must be some huge rodents that would carry away that tripod... thanks for the info that the leg can actually break, I guess the tripod manufacturer did not actually specified the bag hang weight for their tripod.

On my first solo hike down in the Grand Canyon I had some ground squirrels chew into my pack and carry away all of my food. It was not fun having to go an afternoon/evening without food, then hike 9 miles and up 5000 feet the next day without even a snack. I was fortunate that it was my last night of my hike...going a couple days without food would have gone from 'not fun' to lousy!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Sounds like you need a more substantial Tripod regardless of the weight rating!

I'm thinking that tripod weight capacity includes weight below and above the platform, plus that of the head.

I think it depends upon the manufacturer too. Some are more conservative in their ratings than others. I think my Ries A100 could hold just about anything. I've read about people changing the oil in their trucks using a Majestic.

I guess most of you remember the Lester Bogen ads?

https://www.google.com/search?q=Lest...RZBAPNnXbVDxM:

Kind of why I have 3 Ries! Best tripod IMHO!

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Kind of why I have 3 Ries! Best tripod IMHO!
    To each his own, but I would not say it's the "best" tripod for a backpacker. At SEVEN pounds (without a head), they label the J100 as "extremely light weight" and the perfect choice for the field 4x5. They obviously play in a different field than I do.

I wonder which would be heavier -- the J100 or the suitcase full of cash that I would need to afford it?