Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eastern Sierra camping locations?

Eastern Sierra camping locations?

Hi folks,
    Our annual fly fishing trip to Wyoming looks to be a washout this year due to weather next week so we are looking for alternatives to spend a week. My travel companions haven't been to Yosemite but we don't like the crowds so thought maybe a day trip in to the valley just to look and then get out of the madness and back to a base camp that is less zoo like. We will be car camping not backpacking.

Are there any campgrounds on the eastern sierras that are in a nice location scenery wise that you could recommend. Fly fishing nearby would be a plus but not mandatory. In the mountains would be ideal. National forest or BLM campgrounds preferred as one of our companions needs her "real" bathroom and doesn't like to squat in the woods.

I would appreciate any advice!

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Re: Eastern Sierra camping locations?

Erik, I'd recommend the Aspen campground off of highway 120 east of the valley. It is on power plant road. I think they close in mid to late October. Also, Lundy Lake has a campground. Give me time and I'll come up with more.

Walker River--nice camp grounds outside of Markleeville

Saddlebag Resort, AFAIK, isn't opening on account of snow damage, but Saddlebag Lake and Roosevelt offer hungry trout.
    I don't know if the camp grounds are open or not as the Resort is the concessionaire.

Then there's Virginia Lakes. I like to pitch my tent at Trumbull Lake, just across the dirt road from Virginia.

Then there's Twin lakes outside of Bridgeport. The Sawtooths are quite photogenic if you can find a way to get up as there isn't much of a view from the lake IIRC.

Check with the locals as smoke can be an issue (as well as the trout going on Weight Watchers )
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Agnew Meadows campground is a good base location for hiking in the Devil's Postpile/Minarets wilderness area, although you should call ahead first as some web sites say it is currently closed due to storm damage. There are a variety of interesting day hikes in the area, my favorite is the hike to Shadow Lake or (if you are in really good condition) to Thousand Island Lake. Since we're past Labor Day now it hopefully won't be too crowded.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/inyo...a/?recid=20508

Les

Now, this one is closer to Bishop, but I got to like the place. It's a Horton Creek (BLM) campground and the price is right too = $5/night and if you have a gizer pass, the damage would be $2.50. Some places you can't even get coffee for that. What I liked was it was quite a distance from the Rte 395 and loved the open sky at night.

Les

The cabins at Virginia Lakes are a lot of fun.

Thanks for the advice guys!
    Jim, I've stayed at the aspen campground years ago. I think we're looking for a little more "in the mountains" if we can?

John, Virginia lakes looks beautiful. Do you think we'll have a hard time getting a campsite arriving early evening or are we past the tourist season. I like that the walker river is near if we want some river fishing!

Eric, thanks for the link. It appears to be closed if I'm reading correctly?

Les, we'll keep Horton creek in mind if we get too cold or move further south.

I appreciate the opinions guys!

If you go a little firther south, there's camping all up and down the Kern River north of Kernville, and the fishing is good, too.

McNally's has cabins and good steak.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Erik,check out the Lundy Lake campground. Its in the mountains.

Agree with Jim, good choice. Close to the Valley via 120, and close to Mono Lake. A beautiful stretch of highway (395) and scenery on the eastside.

I've caught a lot of photographs along 395, never a fish. Hope you have a great trip!