Thread: Adapt Beseler CB7 lens stage to 45M, anybody done this?

Eric Woodbury

Adapt Beseler CB7 lens stage to 45M, anybody done this?

I'd like to change the lens stage on my Beseler 45M enlarger to have a 'focus motor' same as my CB7 enlarger. I'd also adapt the lens stage swing capability of the CB7 to the 45M. It looks doable, but I notice that the CB7 has a smooth wheel focus mechanism, while the 45M has a rack and pinion system for focus. I'm wondering if this poses a great problem. Have any of you folks tried this conversion?

LFF is the best.

Thanks, EW

Re: Adapt Beseler CB7 lens stage to 45M, anybody done this?

Good luck. I have an unusual CB7, in that is a standard CB7 but without the focusing system. It has the buttons, etc. for it but they were obviously never installed. No big deal for me -- I probably wouldn't use it if I had it. And maybe mine is not as unusual as I think. I have the oversized standard condenser head, as well as the harder to find 12 volt point light source head -- a real beauty with amazing results for certain images. In short, I can't speak about moving the focusing gear from a CB7 to a 45M -- even though I have both.

As for the lens stage, I know that the 45M is not perfect and someone made an improved version, probably back in the 1980's. As I recall, it was sold by Zone VI, which means someone else manufactured it, so it might be available under a different name. I don't recall what it was called, but perhaps someone on this board recalls -- or even has one. But I think it was basically a CB7 lens stage -- with the marked increments and a geared knob for changing it.
    Last edited by xkaes; 25-May-2017 at 04:42.

Re: Adapt Beseler CB7 lens stage to 45M, anybody done this?

I think the power focus system wasn't standard, but from what I've seen, most people bought their CB7 that way.