Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Film Storage Question

Film Storage Question

I wasn't sure where else to put this very newbie question.

I am planning a trip for late summer, and it's where I really want to do my first intensive LF photography. I've done both 35mm and 120 film photography, but this time I hope to do both color transparencies in 4x5, as well as some 5x7 B&W. I have half a dozen holders in both sizes, but obviously want to take more than a dozen images in each. When I want to change exposed film for new film in the holders, what is the best way to store the exposed film? In an empty film box?

I feel rather silly asking this question. I know that those who know the answer must think it's very obvious. But I live in a small town with no one to see in person who might help me, so I'm on my own. I've done loads of reading and learning, but this is one question I have not found an answer for; I suppose just because it is so basic.

I'll have other questions that are just about as innocent and naive.... In fact, I just thought of another! But that will go in a different thread.

Re: Film Storage Question

Paul,

Yes, empty film boxes are the way to go. If you are starting out and don't have any spare film boxes, just ask here on the Forum (perhaps in the WTB section). Generally people will send you some just for the cost of shipping. I've got 4x5 boxes if needed but no 5x7.

A changing tent such as the Harrison one is a great help when traveling.

Bob

Thanks, Bob!

I assume that if I were only taking one box of film, I'd only need one empty box to store exposed film in? Would you be willing to send me a 4x5 box? I could PM you, or you me.

I'm watching a Harrison tent on eBay right now. I had a changing bag, but I made it into bag bellows for a monorail camera I also intend to put to use (but not take on the trip; for that I recently bought a Rittreck View 5x7).

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kinzer View Post
    I wasn't sure where else to put this very newbie question.

I am planning a trip for late summer, and it's where I really want to do my first intensive LF photography. I've done both 35mm and 120 film photography, but this time I hope to do both color transparencies in 4x5, as well as some 5x7 B&W. I have half a dozen holders in both sizes, but obviously want to take more than a dozen images in each. When I want to change exposed film for new film in the holders, what is the best way to store the exposed film? In an empty film box?

I feel rather silly asking this question. I know that those who know the answer must think it's very obvious. But I live in a small town with no one to see in person who might help me, so I'm on my own. I've done loads of reading and learning, but this is one question I have not found an answer for; I suppose just because it is so basic.

I'll have other questions that are just about as innocent and naive.... In fact, I just thought of another! But that will go in a different thread.

Hello Paul,

For convenience, I've been using the same film box to store both the exposed and the unexposed sheets, just you need a second dark plastic bag, I stick an adhesive label in the exposed bag that is evident by touch. I feel more convenient having a single box inside the changing bag.

At the beginning, when I had no additional dark bag, I was using a common plastic clear bag to place exposed sheets inside, and then this clear bag was placed inside the original dark bag of the film, in the back side of the sheets, to not touch emulsion.

If you have to replace sheets in the field you need careful handling, emulsion surface can be abused to some extend, but the edges of the sheets can scratch the surface of other sheets, be careful with that.

Also dust can land on the emulsion, and leave a footprint in the image. Because this I handle sheets in the changing bag with the emulsion side down. Have the changing clean and don't introduce the sleeves inside the bag, just the wrists, as fabric can emit dust.

If dust reaches the emulsion after exposure there is no problem, as it's later washed by chem.

Also a print paper box & bag can be perfectly useful for the moment.

Regards.

Paul,

As Pere indicated, you can get by with just one box. But it is more convenient with a spare or two. I usually take at least two with me to segregate any potential shots that I have somehow screwed up that might require pushing or pulling.

I'll PM you to get your address

Bob

Hi Paul,

I'd be happy to send you a couple of empty boxes gratis. PM me your mailing address.

I always suggest using the complete original packaging, with all three box sections and
    the internal envelopes with cardboard stiffeners. Those protect the film from fingernails.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Thanks for the responses! I'd like to get started with as much screw-up-proofing as possible, as I know I'll need it. As an astrophotographer (film once, but now digital), I know about learning curves, following step-by-step procedures, and patience. As a guy who's not as young as I once was, I know I'm more, not less, prone to errors. I'll stick with as many crutches as I can! I'll keep the film separated, in complete boxes, at least until I come up with a routine that works for me.

Leigh: PM sent.

You got some advice about using a changing tent. If you're planning on loading holders in a changing tent don't. They are dust and lint nightmares.

If you are traveling bring along the means to blackout a hotel bathroom. A roll of foil and some painters tape at a minimum. Black plastic is better.

You'll figure it out. Don't waste your money on a changing tent.

Hey, Brad, thanks! That makes sense now that you mention it, especially as we'll be spending a lot of time going in and out of the vehicle we'll also be doing most of our sleeping in. I may still get a changing bag, though, since they're so much cheaper, for unforeseen emergencies. I'll keep it in a big ziplock and only take it out if I really need it.

I vacuum my Harrison tent out once in a while and never found dust a problem.