Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Extreme wide angle lens for Whole Plate format

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Collinsville, CT USA
    Posts
    615

    Extreme wide angle lens for Whole Plate format

    Presently my widest angle lens for my whole plate is a 105mm f/8 FUJINON SW, but at infinity it really doesn't cover the whole plate format, so end up using a 120mm Nikkor most of the time.

    Am looking for an extreme wide angle lens (under 120mm) for the whole plate format that actually covers the whole format.

    Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Do or do not. There is no try.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    733

    Re: Extreme wide angle lens for Whole Plate format

    Schneider says the 110mm Super Symmar XL has a 288mm image circle at f/22. It'll give you a little (very little) movement on WP and is marginally wider than your 120mm Nikkor-SW. The 110m Perigon has a bit more coverage, but good luck finding one. A 90mm Perigon won't cover WP per its specs (110 degree field of view).

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1,123

    Re: Extreme wide angle lens for Whole Plate format

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Presently my widest angle lens for my whole plate is a 105mm f/8 FUJINON SW, but at infinity it really doesn't cover the whole plate format, so end up using a 120mm Nikkor most of the time.

    Am looking for an extreme wide angle lens (under 120mm) for the whole plate format that actually covers the whole format.

    Any suggestions?
    There is the vintage goerz hypergon 75mm, the widest I know that covers 8x10 http://www.cameraquest.com/hyper.htm

    here you have a sample with hypergon 90: http://www.glennview.com/

    anyway hypergon = mortage, at least for me. Some $3000 for the 60mm that covers 5x7


    But having you a luxurious SW 120... I've some insane envy

    PD: This is the link I had http://www.largeformatphotography.in...p/t-15594.html

  4. #4
    Corran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    GA, USA
    Posts
    4,850

    Re: Extreme wide angle lens for Whole Plate format

    Schneider 90mm XL should cover, as I posted in your thread from last year?

    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...for-Full-Plate

    The problem will be the camera design and getting the lens centered and not having the camera in the photo. Or the tripod!

    At the end of that thread is a photo showing that it definitely covers. The 90XL has come down in price a lot. One just sold for under $700 on eBay I see. I would recommend the CF unless you really want that dramatic fall-off.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1,123

    Re: Extreme wide angle lens for Whole Plate format

    Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Schneider 90mm XL should cover, as I posted in your thread from last year?

    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...for-Full-Plate

    The problem will be the camera design and getting the lens centered and not having the camera in the photo. Or the tripod!

    At the end of that thread is a photo showing that it definitely covers. The 90XL has come down in price a lot. One just sold for under $700 on eBay I see. I would recommend the CF unless you really want that dramatic fall-off.
    Hello Bryan,

    It nearly covers with a very close subject, because bellows extension, with a distant subject coverage will decrease, manufacturer states 259mm image circle at f22, yet this is impressive for a 90....

    Regards

  6. #6
    Lachlan 717
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,278

    Re: Extreme wide angle lens for Whole Plate format

    Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    Hello Bryan,

    It nearly covers with a very close subject, because bellows extension, with a distant subject covarage will decrease to what manufacturer states.
    It will cover more than Schneider states at infinity. They were always conservative with their stated coverage.
    Lachlan.

    You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1,123

    Re: Extreme wide angle lens for Whole Plate format

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    It will cover more than Schneider states at infinity. They were always conservative with their stated coverage.
    Yes, of course, anyway that image Bryan posted explain it very well,




    Focus here is perhaps at 1m, so it can be calculated what bellows extension was used and how circle will decrease with focus at infinite.

    Perhaps a trick would be stopping a lot to focus to a close hyperfocal distance, to get a larger circle.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Collinsville, CT USA
    Posts
    615

    Re: Extreme wide angle lens for Whole Plate format

    Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Schneider 90mm XL should cover, as I posted in your thread from last year?

    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...for-Full-Plate

    The problem will be the camera design and getting the lens centered and not having the camera in the photo. Or the tripod!

    At the end of that thread is a photo showing that it definitely covers. The 90XL has come down in price a lot. One just sold for under $700 on eBay I see. I would recommend the CF unless you really want that dramatic fall-off.
    Thank you,
    I do remember your post. I did look into acquiring a Schneider 90mm XL, but seemed as none were available used at that time. Did find one retailer that had a new one in stock FS, but price was well into 4 figures. Then I got an Email from another whole plate user, and he advised me not to pursue getting a Schneider 90mm XL as the optic would not cover the whole plate format when focused at infinity. Have decided to just stick with my 120mm Nikkor and stop being obsessed with trying to acquire an even wider angle optic.

    Pere posted: "Perhaps a trick would be stopping a lot to focus to a close hyperlocal distance" Interesting solution.....

  9. #9
    Corran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    GA, USA
    Posts
    4,850

    Re: Extreme wide angle lens for Whole Plate format

    Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    Yes, of course, anyway that image Bryan posted explain it very well,
    That's on 8x10 as I clearly stated so the 90XL covers WP just fine.

    I've shot the XL on 8x10 focused at infinity rather than racked closely like the image posted and there's a bit of gain to the IC as expected but you should be fine on WP either way. In fact I looked back in my images and found one I shot at infinity or close to it and according to the dimensions, when cropped from 8x10 to remove the vignette at worse the coverage was about 8.5 x 6.75 so that should be fine for WP. Centering the lens will be the hardest part.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1,123

    Re: Extreme wide angle lens for Whole Plate format

    Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    That's on 8x10 as I clearly stated so the 90XL covers WP just fine.

    I've shot the XL on 8x10 focused at infinity rather than racked closely like the image posted and there's a bit of gain to the IC as expected but you should be fine on WP either way. In fact I looked back in my images and found one I shot at infinity or close to it and according to the dimensions, when cropped from 8x10 to remove the vignette at worse the coverage was about 8.5 x 6.75 so that should be fine for WP. Centering the lens will be the hardest part.
    OK... I understand...

    /Slightly off/ perhaps for extreme wide an smaller format is better, as there are better choices for 45. Even MF can be a better option, as P67 and RB67 systems have fisheyes...

    Still your 90XL shot is amazing, I feel the little vigneting as a creative push.

Similar Threads

  1. Extreme wide angle lens for Full Plate
    By Greg in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 23-Apr-2016, 23:06
  2. Info on a series G extreme wide angle lens
    By S. Christiansen in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2-Feb-2013, 08:05
  3. 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 (full-plate?) Extreme Wide Angle
    By Neil Purling in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 14-Mar-2007, 13:24

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •