Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Panorama insert for film holders

Panorama insert for film holders

I been wanting to shoot panoramas for a while now but it isn't cheapest thing to get in to so I decided to go for a diy solution.
    I thought about making custom film holder but landed on tying to make som inserts for a regular film holder instead.
    purchased some 13x18 holders to get 6x18 negatives but it turned out the holder where, at least i think for half-plate film so it will give 6x15,5.
    Will try with 5x7 and 13x18 when I get some

The inserts are printed with a 3d printer
    It is printed in two halves and glued together, the part that slides in to the holders "film groove" is glued on

Some paper for testing

It might not work all that great with roll film, I plan on using cut down X-ray film.

Re: Panorama insert for film holders

What kind of large format camera do you use? You can buy splitters for most wooden view cameras and insert them inside camera back to shoot 2 panaromic photos.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...litters-for-V8

I have never done this but . . . .

It came to me that one could cut a dark slide so that it had a window in panoraqmic format in one half of the slide (the long way right?). So, compose a view in the top half or the GG maybe ise front rise/fall to get it the way you want. Now insert a rtegular film holder and pull the slide. Insert the cut slide with the window open to the artea of the GG with the composition you want. ?Take that picture and re-insert the normal, full dark slide.

Repete this with another view, but compose on the other half of the GG and reverse the orientation of the panoramic window.

The result should be two panoramic images on one sheet of film.

Anybod ever do this? Does it work?

RT
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I have done this. The problems I encountered that led me to give up on the idea were 1) being a dumb shit and getting confused about which side I had exposed and 2) the exposures of bright areas bleeding over into the other half exposure.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I have done this. The problems I encountered that led me to give up on the idea were 1) being a dumb shit and getting confused about which side I had exposed and 2) the exposures of bright areas bleeding over into the other half exposure.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Eric Biggerstaff

A friend of mine made a dark slide splitter once for 4X5 but I must confess I never used it. For me it is far easier to simply crop the image on easel when printing the image (or in Photoshop if I scan and print digital). That way I can choose what the best composition is and change as needed.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

I'm not sure it has a lot of benefit over cropping or half dark slides for 5x4 film to get panoramics. But it seems like a decent idea for a) using film only available in 120 in place of a 6x12 roll film back, or b) as an alternative to a reducing back for 5x7 and 8x10 - though I would have to be sure that the inserts would stay put in an 8x10 holder - and 3D printing a 10" strip in one pass will take a large device. I would assume reducing 5x7 to 4x5, or 8x10 to 5x7.

A niche idea, but workable. At least until you forget that you have a reduced field holder and compose full format!

Very neat.

I hope it works well.

as some mentioned the panorama darkslides are a decent option too. I sold one a while ago:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...rama-darkslide
    I still use a 4x5 one sometimes, the highlight flare issue can be a problem.
    ~n
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail

Deardorff V8 with a 4x10 Splitter

Tachihara View Field 4x5 with a cut panoramic dark slide

Thanks for all the input I will try this out and see how it works, just waiting for some black plastic to arrive so I can reprint them black.
    I bought four of these half-plate holder very cheap and might just didicate them for panorama shoots and buy some 5x7 or 13x18 holders for regular shooting.

I use a Rittreck View 5x7 by the way