Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DOF charts

Re: DOF charts

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    It's not just focal length and aperture. Before that is the circle of confusion. The FL and f-stop are pretty well defined, but the circle of confusion is a choice, an opinion. What one person or company considers acceptable, another won't. That's why one company's DOF tables will differ from another company's, even when the FL and f-stop are the same. The larger the circle of confusion that you consider acceptable, the wider the DOF will be.
    Yes, but then you also need to consider how large the resulting print will be. The greater the magnification the smaller the required CoC.

You are right, of course, but I usually don't consider how large a print I will make until I am in the darkroom -- since I usually do some, or a lot, of cropping. Throw in the viewing distance as another consideration/variable -- which is just one more unknown.

I found a great, free, DIY, easy-to-use, DOF calculator. It has a few, minor quirks, limitations, etc., but most people won't notice them, care about them, or be affected by them. Your main decision will be what circle of confusion to choose!! But you could always produce calculators for different CoFs -- at get REALLY confused. It is at:

www.dofmaster.com/

In the meanwhile, I will continue to use my home-made graphs.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    I found a great, free, DIY, easy-to-use, DOF calculator. It has a few, minor quirks, limitations, etc., but most people won't notice them, care about them, or be affected by them. Your main decision will be what circle of confusion to choose!! But you could always produce calculators for different CoFs -- at get REALLY confused. It is at:

www.dofmaster.com/

In the meanwhile, I will continue to use my home-made graphs.
    Actually, with the Rodenstock, instead of worrying about the size of the CoC you just use the settings for a smaller film size then you are shooting.
    And, on the other side of the Rodenstock calculator it computes Scheimpflug settings again for all formats from 35 to 810 as well as the required tilt angle and any required exposure correction.