Thread: Wading into large format

Re: Wading into large format

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    Good work on your site!

Kumar
    Thank you very much

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewin View Post
    Welcome! I looked at your website, you have quite a few images that lend themselves to view camera work, for example your abstracts and architectural work. View cameras love subjects that stay still! Of course the main virtue of this site is that you have quite a few members who have been doing this for a long time (I am shocked to realize that I got my first 4x5 some 50 years ago!) and enjoy being able to pass along some of what we have learned. Which is another way of saying, as someone else posted, that there are no foolish questions (just occasionally, foolish answers).
    Thank you, Peter - you're right, many of my favourite subjects are still! I'm grateful that there are so many experienced people who are willing to share their knowledge. And since I have no answers at this point, I suppose I can't possibly say anything foolish - I can only hope that this is true!!

Quote Originally Posted by David Schaller View Post
    I just had back surgery, and am prohibited from lifting more than ten pounds. But I found a 4x5 kit can be broken down into a number of smaller packages, with a few extra trips to and from your car, with satisfying results.
    Welcome,
    Dave
    Thank you for the welcome, Dave. I have had disc issues for a few years, and it is good to know that the modularity of 4x5 kits allows piecemeal transport. Hope your surgery was successful!

Welcome to the LF forum, Raj. Best of luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Welcome to the LF forum, Raj. Best of luck to you!
    Thank you very much, Andrew!

David Schaller

Quote Originally Posted by rajmohan-fotograf View Post
    Thank you for the welcome, Dave. I have had disc issues for a few years, and it is good to know that the modularity of 4x5 kits allows piecemeal transport. Hope your surgery was successful!
    Thanks. I probably can also transport my 8x10 kit piecemeal too, but I haven't tried yet. I would still recommend starting with 4x5 to learn large format photography, even if you had an assistant to carry your gear!
    Dave

Intriguing images on your website!
    Welcome aboard.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I just had back surgery, and am prohibited from lifting more than ten pounds. But I found a 4x5 kit can be broken down into a number of smaller packages, with a few extra trips to and from your car, with satisfying results.
    Welcome,
    Dave
    Good luck to you, David! I had a back fusion back in December of 1994. I have permanent limitations plus I've got arthritis in my back that has worsened over the years. I shoot an 8x10 Wehman camera and use a Klein wheeled tool bag to haul everything around. I still don't get very far from my vehicle. It is what it is and I make due the best I can and the bag really helps.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BZXA35I...a-316285031515

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Intriguing images on your website!
    Welcome aboard.
    Thank you, John!

Thanks. I probably can also transport my 8x10 kit piecemeal too, but I haven't tried yet. I would still recommend starting with 4x5 to learn large format photography, even if you had an assistant to carry your gear!
    Dave
    I'm content starting with (and quite possibly stopping at) 4x5, as even this is beyond what I imagined I would do. Perhaps in a few years, I may feel the 8x10 itch!