Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Sinar Norma tripod head question

  1. #11

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Collinsville, CT USA
    Posts
    634

    Re: Sinar Norma tripod head question

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bodine View Post
    At the bottom of this page you'll see some "Similar Threads" that contain some pics of the head. The top surface interfaces with the rail clamp of the camera. Both have the same diameter. The earlier models of the head had two simple pins sticking up and two screw heads (180* apart). The pins were spring-mounted so they could be pushed down to the head surface for whatever reason (was never obvious to me). These pins made it easy to quickly position the hole on the bottom of the rail clamp exactly over the attaching threads on the head's screw. The two screw heads sticking up matched the locations of notches on the rail clamp, so that when the rail clamp was tightened down the rail clamp could not rotate on the head. The large handle locks "pitch" position (aircraft term for nose-up / nose-down) of the camera by activating a disk-brake type of mechanism. This mechanism is a relatively large diameter joint that contains disks of a special non-metal material for friction control. The attachments for rail clamp-to-head and for head-to-tripod should be 3/8-16 threads to insure adequate strength.
    Some variations out there... My gray Norma era rail clamp does not have 2 indentations for the pins to align with and with my black Norma tripod head, the 2 pins screw into head directly, not being spring-mounted.

  2. #12
    rajmohan-fotograf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19

    Re: Sinar Norma tripod head question

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Google is your friend.

    https://www.google.com/search?q=Sina...w=1120&bih=659

    I used to own a 4x5 Sinar P. I used a Ries head and the camera wanted to spin on the head. I'd have to clamp it down really tight to prevent this. As mentioned above the Sinar head prevents the camera from spinning.
    Thank you, Alan - yes, I'm leaning more and more toward the Sinar.

  3. #13
    rajmohan-fotograf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19

    Re: Sinar Norma tripod head question

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Some variations out there... My gray Norma era rail clamp does not have 2 indentations for the pins to align with and with my black Norma tripod head, the 2 pins screw into head directly, not being spring-mounted.
    Thanks, Greg! I noticed this on the head that is currently advertised on ebay - there are 2 pins that are screwed into the head, and are flush with the surface of the head. I'll need to examine the rail clamp to see whether I need a head with the protruding pins for added security!

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    Forest Grove, Ore.
    Posts
    3,326

    Re: Sinar Norma tripod head question

    Personally, I would want to add a Linhof quick release adapter to the head, mounting the plate to the Norma.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Collinsville, CT USA
    Posts
    634

    Re: Sinar Norma tripod head question

    Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    Personally, I would want to add a Linhof quick release adapter to the head, mounting the plate to the Norma.
    Two things....

    If you end up unscrewing the 2 pins, put them in a clear 35mm film plastic case at once and mark the film case. I accidentally had the 2 pins roll off the countertop. It took me almost 20 minutes to find them, they are very small. Replacement OEM (Sinar) pins, if you could even find them, I'm sure will not be cheap. I have noticed recently that those clear plastic 35mm film cases are getting harder and harder to find. Fortunately many years ago I thought twice about discarding the dozens and dozens of them that I had collected in the back of a drawer and chose to put them all in a marked box and store them on a shelf in the basement. Have given away most of them to friends for various uses but still have probably 36 of them left which should last me into the future.

    On my Sinar head, I use a Kessler Kwik Release receiver mounting platform and a Kessler Crane Kwik Utility Plate when using my Chamonix 11x14. Trying to center the Sinar tripod head's mounting screw with the female counterpart under the 11x14's bed while precariously balancing the 11x14 on the head was a nightmare. With the Kessler mounting platform and their Utility Plate. mounting the camera is a dream. Plus there is a double locking mechanism in the Kessler Kwik Release receiver mounting platform. From my experience the Linhof quick release adapter is an excellent product. The Kessler is just excellent plus, plus, plus.

  6. #16
    rajmohan-fotograf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19

    Re: Sinar Norma tripod head question

    Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    Personally, I would want to add a Linhof quick release adapter to the head, mounting the plate to the Norma.
    Thank you for this suggestion, Neil - I'll look into it.

  7. #17
    rajmohan-fotograf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19

    Re: Sinar Norma tripod head question

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Two things....

    If you end up unscrewing the 2 pins, put them in a clear 35mm film plastic case at once and mark the film case. I accidentally had the 2 pins roll off the countertop. It took me almost 20 minutes to find them, they are very small. Replacement OEM (Sinar) pins, if you could even find them, I'm sure will not be cheap. I have noticed recently that those clear plastic 35mm film cases are getting harder and harder to find. Fortunately many years ago I thought twice about discarding the dozens and dozens of them that I had collected in the back of a drawer and chose to put them all in a marked box and store them on a shelf in the basement. Have given away most of them to friends for various uses but still have probably 36 of them left which should last me into the future.

    On my Sinar head, I use a Kessler Kwik Release receiver mounting platform and a Kessler Crane Kwik Utility Plate when using my Chamonix 11x14. Trying to center the Sinar tripod head's mounting screw with the female counterpart under the 11x14's bed while precariously balancing the 11x14 on the head was a nightmare. With the Kessler mounting platform and their Utility Plate. mounting the camera is a dream. Plus there is a double locking mechanism in the Kessler Kwik Release receiver mounting platform. From my experience the Linhof quick release adapter is an excellent product. The Kessler is just excellent plus, plus, plus.
    Hi Greg,

    Sadly the head I've seen advertised does not have the screws. If I find one with them, I'll be extra careful, as you suggest.

    The tips about the Kessler accessories are great - I'll have to look into these. Thank you!

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Seattle, WA
    Posts
    767

    Re: Sinar Norma tripod head question

    Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    Personally, I would want to add a Linhof quick release adapter to the head, mounting the plate to the Norma.
    Neil - fwiw, another option would be like a number of us Norma users do: simply leave the rail clamp on the head; then it's just place the rail in and close the clamp.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    Forest Grove, Ore.
    Posts
    3,326

    Re: Sinar Norma tripod head question

    Quote Originally Posted by rajmohan-fotograf View Post
    Thank you for this suggestion, Neil - I'll look into it.
    I have a black Norma 8x10, to which I've added a Sinar F back for 4x5. (I rather like combining the Norma front standard with an F rear standard. As for "black", I believe that's the color of the most recent Sinar Norma releases.) In particular, my black clamp freely allows adjusting side to side tilt. Together with the Sinar tripod head, one obatins all three degrees of freedom.

    The Linhof quick release is thin, so it keeps the camera low; yet, one still has a quick release system. Great combination.

  10. #20
    rajmohan-fotograf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19

    Re: Sinar Norma tripod head question

    This sounds good, Neil. I may have found a workable solution, but it will take a few days for me to acquire the necessary bits and to test it out - I'll report back if and when I succeed

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •