Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sinar Norma tripod head question

Sinar Norma tripod head question

Hi folks,
    My first post here!
    I am about to acquire a Sinar Norma, but don't yet have a way to mount it on my Gitzo Series 4 tripod. From the comments, it sounds like the Sinar head is the way to go - would anyone be able to share an image or two of the head, without and with the camera mounted on it (and on a tripod), so that I can get an idea of how it looks and what I should look for while shopping?
    Thank you very much!
    Raj

Photographer

Re: Sinar Norma tripod head question

Look on Ebay for "Sinar Pan Tilt Head." There is a Chinese seller that has new knock offs that look very good. Otherwise, you will be looking at used heads.
    Keith Pitman

DSC05763 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Here's my 8x10 Norma, with wide-angle bellows, 165mm Super Angulon, Sinar Norma Shutter, Norma Pan/Tilt Head, and Foba C40 Tripod (Norma Tripod)
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    Look on Ebay for "Sinar Pan Tilt Head." There is a Chinese seller that has new knock offs that look very good. Otherwise, you will be looking at used heads.
    Thanks, Keith - I saw this, and it does look good. Do you have any experience with it? Perhaps I might be better off with a used Sinar head.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    DSC05763 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Here's my 8x10 Norma, with wide-angle bellows, 165mm Super Angulon, Sinar Norma Shutter, Norma Pan/Tilt Head, and Foba C40 Tripod (Norma Tripod)
    Thank you, Daniel. This is great. Could you please let me know how the Norma head attaches to your tripod? Do you need a 3/8 screw or clamp to fix the head to the tripod? I have a Gitzo Series 4 tripod without a center column (just a top plate with a 3/8" threaded hole).

You Gitzo should have a threaded stud in the hole. Indeed with the flat top plate it is just a bolt of the appropriate length.
    jeff

It simply screws together. The head has a stud which orients the camera and keeps it from spinning.
    I consider the Norma Head to be part of the original camera. My first choice for a tripod head.

The 3/8" female hole on the bottom of the Norma Head will fit your Manfrotto.
    I use the Manfrotto sometimes myself with these heads. It will work with no downsides.

-Dan
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

At the bottom of this page you'll see some "Similar Threads" that contain some pics of the head. The top surface interfaces with the rail clamp of the camera. Both have the same diameter. The earlier models of the head had two simple pins sticking up and two screw heads (180* apart). The pins were spring-mounted so they could be pushed down to the head surface for whatever reason (was never obvious to me). These pins made it easy to quickly position the hole on the bottom of the rail clamp exactly over the attaching threads on the head's screw. The two screw heads sticking up matched the locations of notches on the rail clamp, so that when the rail clamp was tightened down the rail clamp could not rotate on the head. The large handle locks "pitch" position (aircraft term for nose-up / nose-down) of the camera by activating a disk-brake type of mechanism. This mechanism is a relatively large diameter joint that contains disks of a special non-metal material for friction control. The attachments for rail clamp-to-head and for head-to-tripod should be 3/8-16 threads to insure adequate strength.

Jeff, Dan and Jerry - thank you very much for the detailed information. Being a complete neophyte in the LF world, I appreciate your sharing your experience and knowledge with me.

Google is your friend.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Sina...w=1120&bih=659

I used to own a 4x5 Sinar P. I used a Ries head and the camera wanted to spin on the head. I'd have to clamp it down really tight to prevent this. As mentioned above the Sinar head prevents the camera from spinning.