Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 14x17 build, with filmholders and tripod

Re: 14x17 build, with filmholders and tripod

Congratulations, radii. Your workmanship is superb; I'm in awe!

Very beautiful!

Thanks for the bellows link. That's tremendous!
    Why two layers? Also, what did you use for adhesives?

You made a beautiful job of the bellows. May I ask, which/whose instructions did you follow? I built a 5x7 bellows recently that was supposed to come out square, but depending on how the fold sequence is started, either the large end or the small end comes out rectangular.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr. Mark View Post
    Thanks for the bellows link. That's tremendous!
    Why two layers? Also, what did you use for adhesives?
    One layer only wouldn't be light proof enough, and the two layers allow good adhesion/sandwiching of the ribs.
    I used 3m 465 transfer tape for adhesive. Super 77 spraymount works as well, but is trickier to apply evenly and leaves a rougher surfaces telegraphing through the fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Kirsten View Post
    You made a beautiful job of the bellows. May I ask, which/whose instructions did you follow? I built a 5x7 bellows recently that was supposed to come out square, but depending on how the fold sequence is started, either the large end or the small end comes out rectangular.
    Thanks, but I have to disagree. They might fold up nicely and look decent, but the sagging at any extension makes me seriously doubt my approach.
    The 5x7 and 8x10 bellows I've made before didn't have that problem, so it must be the weight and size that's the culprit.
    The Thorlabs fabric, being only 0.005" thick, is probably just too flexible to provide enough stiffness for a bellow of that size. I have however not been able to source a material that is comparably flexible, light proof and on the thin side.

I can't remember the original link for the instructions that I used to calculate my bellows, but there's still some trial and error involved in it for me. I first plot out a paper template of the first row of ribs, knife it out, tape it together to form a very low pyramid and fold it up to see what I get. It's usually off from what I anticipated and then make the necessary adjustment before cutting the final pieces.
    And yes, the front standard end of it comes out rectangular while the rear standard end is somewhat square.

Your skills as a photographer are apparent in your camera photos. The lighting is very well done as are fine details in and of the camera. Your lighting technique has perfect contrast between the metal part highlights and the dark areas. The wood textures look beautiful, as well as the closeup photos. The tripod is a work of art in itself. You are capable of producing great photos with this wondrous camera.

Really beautiful job,well done.I appreciate the work you've done but mostly the design and the time spent on it are remarkable.

I had an Anthony and Scovill 14x17 that weighed 19 lb. I put many hundreds of sheets of film through that camera. But, it did not hold a candle to your beautiful design, both in terms of form and function. I like your design sense very much. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.
    Kerik Kouklis
    www.kerik.com
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion

Wow ! Congratulations ! You've just designed one of the most beautiful field cameras ever ! Now you can start mass production . I'd love to have one . I'm in love with this camera !