Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 94

Thread: 14x17 build, with filmholders and tripod

  1. #71

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Austin TX
    Posts
    40

    Re: 14x17 build, with filmholders and tripod

    Wow, super impressed! I really like the adjustable leg supports on the tripod. Loads of amazing details throughout.

  2. #72
    Randy Moe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    9,403

    Re: 14x17 build, with filmholders and tripod

    Wow!

    I missed this during my haitus.

    Great work.

  3. #73

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    6,803

    Re: 14x17 build, with filmholders and tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by fj55mike View Post
    Wow, super impressed! I really like the adjustable leg supports on the tripod. Loads of amazing details throughout.
    Mike, I think the tripod is a superior imitation Ries. Not to take anything away from the OP, but Ries tripods embody good ideas that are well worth stealing. And improving on.

  4. #74

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Joyce,WA
    Posts
    1,273

    Re: 14x17 build, with filmholders and tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by radii View Post
    Interesting. Thanks for the link.

    Anodized pieces are much slicker (and would open up new design possibilities), but I haven't found a reasonably priced service that does small custom pieces (except paintball guns and yoyo amateurs) and the entry price to do it myself is just too damn high.

    The other option would be to use Delrin in those friction places maybe. Once cut though, it looses it's factory shine and it's impossible to restore that.
    Yeah, I could never justify the expense or the space required to anodize at home.

    Small profiles in Delrin cut well with router bits- I've used a Whiteside downcut spiral bit in my micro mill and it left a pretty decent finish at slower speeds around 1500 rpm. On a router the same bit will melt it as much as cut. A single-cut file also leaves a surprisingly good finish on the cut ends of bar stock. I've never tried to surface a large surface area of Delrin sheet stock before though. And you're getting a truly amazing finish on your metalwork, so our standards for finish quality might be a little different!

    One warning about the adhesive-backed UHWM film I linked earlier, the cut edges leave an adhesive burr that can gum up the parts and defeat the point of using it, it needs to be burnished along those edges.
    Last edited by Colin Graham; 25-Nov-2017 at 10:41.

  5. #75

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    101

    Re: 14x17 build, with filmholders and tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Mike, I think the tripod is a superior imitation Ries. Not to take anything away from the OP, but Ries tripods embody good ideas that are well worth stealing. And improving on.
    It is definitely a Ries imitation, but in no way superior. I've never used a Ries myself, but can only imagine how smooth and secure the leg support is.
    The tolerances in the moving sleeve that grips the shaft , had to be within 0.003" to get the right amount of friction, which I could only achieve with a few amateurish paper shims.
    The lever principle rally kicks in when the legs are extended and it's hard to strike the right balance between ease of movement/adjustability and securely positioning the legs.

    In other words, hats off to the original Ries !!

  6. #76

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    101

    Re: 14x17 build, with filmholders and tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Graham View Post
    Yeah, I could never justify the expense or the space required to anodize at home.

    Small profiles in Delrin cut well with router bits- I've used a Whiteside downcut spiral bit in my micro mill and it left a pretty decent finish at slower speeds around 1500 rpm. On a router the same bit will melt it as much as cut. A single-cut file also leaves a surprisingly good finish on the cut ends of bar stock. I've never tried to surface a large surface area of Delrin sheet stock before though. And you're getting a truly amazing finish on your metalwork, so our standards for finish quality might be a little different!

    One warning about the adhesive-backed UHWM film I linked earlier, the cut edges leave an adhesive burr that can gum up the parts and defeat the point of using it, it needs to be burnished along those edges.
    Thanks for the pointers Colin.

  7. #77

    Re: 14x17 build, with filmholders and tripod

    What did you use for dark slides? It looks plastic? Garolite? CF?

  8. #78

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    101

    Re: 14x17 build, with filmholders and tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by william.j.dwyer@usa.net View Post
    What did you use for dark slides? It looks plastic? Garolite? CF?
    Yes, 0.03" Garolite XX from McMaster

  9. #79

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    257

    Re: 14x17 build, with filmholders and tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by radii View Post
    Yes, 0.03" Garolite XX from McMaster
    Wow, I would have thought that 1/32" would be too thin for such a large sheet. I'm contemplating a 14x17 build myself (though nothing like as sweet as yours!) and was wondering about Garolite and how thick to get it. Do you find that it really is thick enough, now that you've got it done, or would 1/16" maybe be better? I'm in no way criticizing; just curious. And I ask because I read in another thread somewhere that someone thought 1/16" would be too thin for an even smaller holder, which seemed wrong to me. You're the one who's had it in your hands, so no one would know better.

  10. #80

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    101

    Re: 14x17 build, with filmholders and tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kinzer View Post
    Wow, I would have thought that 1/32" would be too thin for such a large sheet. I'm contemplating a 14x17 build myself (though nothing like as sweet as yours!) and was wondering about Garolite and how thick to get it. Do you find that it really is thick enough, now that you've got it done, or would 1/16" maybe be better? I'm in no way criticizing; just curious. And I ask because I read in another thread somewhere that someone thought 1/16" would be too thin for an even smaller holder, which seemed wrong to me. You're the one who's had it in your hands, so no one would know better.
    1/32" is definitely thin and can easily snap and break if mishandled. It is however 100% light proof and the weight savings compared to a 1/16" thickness, just made sense to me. Maybe even more of a deciding factor were the space restrictions in the film holder construction itself. There just isn't that much"meat" left after fitting the 1/8" septum into the middle of ~0.79" thick stock. For smaller holders, a 1/16" thick septum might work ok, therefore freeing up some space on either side for thicker material.

Similar Threads

  1. Planning 14x17 Camera Build
    By jon.oman in forum LF DIY (Do It Yourself)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 28-Feb-2015, 19:04
  2. 14x17 Camera build.....the last one??
    By Jim Fitzgerald in forum Cameras - ULF (Ultra Large Format) and Accessories
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 25-Jan-2011, 07:56
  3. How to build a panoramic tripod head for $10
    By CXC in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14-Aug-2006, 14:15
  4. Plans to build a wooden tripod for 4x5?
    By Tyler Wainright in forum Gear
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 18-Aug-2001, 21:25

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •