Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Frame and Mat Board Suppliers

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: Frame and Mat Board Suppliers

In the past I ordered 4-ply Archival Methods mat board through B&H where it was much cheaper than from Archival Methods direct. Then I switched to 32x40 4 and 8-ply Rising board which I order from Blick in Chicago. The first order came without corner protectors so some of the corners arrived bent. For subsequent orders I added the special instructions to add corner protectors which they do and place those instructions on the shipping carton. The boards now arrive with minimal damage to the corners. I'm also a fan of the black Nielsen metal frames which I buy at a local Blick store and museum grade acrylic from a local Taps plastics store where I get a discount.

Thomas

Rising museum board, and foam core, from Blick...Frames from American Frame. Generally good service so far. First shipment from Archival Methods (large museum case) destroyed by UPS - but replaced in a hurry and was perfect.

Robert Bowring

I have also had good experience with Archival Methods. Good selection of materials and very good packaging. I have also had very good experience with Contemporary Frame Company for frames.

Dave Karp

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    In about every area there is a wholesaler for materials that the local framing shops buy discount... Ask the local shops, they will probably tell you of of the firm in one of the closest principal cities... The wholesalers might sell to the public if you buy the minimum purchase (often just $25), quantity, and the big one, if you have a resale # for taxes, but you can sidestep that if you insist on paying them sales taxes with your purchase...

Our local supplier is Valley Framing & Moulding in Burbank, CA and have the best supplies and even classes for framers... (Great bulk prices and selection!!!) Framers, galleries, and museums buy from them... But they will bug you about a resale # until you insist on paying sales tax... (Seems that everyone who buys from them insists on resale (no taxes), so they bug you about the # until you pay tax...)

Steve K
    I second this recommendation. I too am close to Valley Moulding and love being able to purchase from them. If you have a similar supplier in your area, you get to see the board in person. You can have a print with you and put it up against the different shades of white to make your selection. The staff is knowledgeable and helpful. They have the other supplies you need too.

Before selecting mat board, i got samples from Archival Methods, Strathmore, Neilsen Bainbridge, and my local art supply store so I could pick a couple of mat boards to standardize on with confidence. You would be surprised how broad a range the term "white" covers.

John Olsen

Quote Originally Posted by JMO View Post
    +1 for Archival Methods and their attention to detail in packaging their shipments so that items arrive undamaged.

To John Olsen - consider Archival Methods for shipments of mat board. My experience is that they wrap and package their shipments such that there is NO chance of damage by UPS. ....
    Thanks, they don't use the same supplier, but I ought to try them next time. I bookmarked the catalog page for next month.

I've had great luck with

http://www.pictureframes.com/

over many years. I still can't beleive the selection and prices.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Lets see an example of your framing.

Thomas

+1 for Frame Destinations. Very good experience with them many times and good customer service.

Again ... Thanks to All for your experiences, suggestions, & insight !
    20% off on a "first order" at Archival Methods is a great way to restock!
    Drew