Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 tripod for mountaineering

Re: 4x5 tripod for mountaineering

Quote Originally Posted by mmerig View Post
    Part of the problem or possible disagreement is the loose definition of mountaineering.
    Yea for sure, and I haven't offered my understand of it in this thread. I don't really want to go into it because describing it wasn't the intended theme of this thread. My goal in using it as a descriptor was trying to emphasize the necessity for something compact and light.

So few people get into the high, snowy, steep mountains with LF cameras, so high quality pictures of dramatic terrain are rare and worth seeing.
    Thanks, that quote captures my general goal. I've slowly become comfortable and successful shooting 4x5 in alpine environments, and now have several projects in mind that requires travel across riskier terrain, or more accurately, a combination of riskier terrain including glaciers, steep snow fields, and short (hopefully) sections of class 3 rock.

Bradford Washburn took many nice photos in snowy mountains
    His story, as well as Vittorio Sella's, has inspired me quite a bit. I may end up playing around with an orange filter, but I find even the r25's are not enough most of the time, and I prefer the 091 that B+W offers. There is method to my madness, please trust me.

I am familiar with Jimmy Chin's work, and for some years he lived a few miles from me until he moved to NY. We had fun on the same local mountains -- Wyoming's Teton Range-- , but not together. All of the routes on the Grand Teton, for example, would still be considered as "alpine", yet, in 1898, on the first definite ascent, William Owen took a summit photo with a camera that we would call large format, probably whole plate. Of course he did not have much choice in camera size, and he was a little crazy.
    Thats pretty awesome, would love to visit Grand Teton.

I do see what you're getting at. I'm just not ready to give up the 4x5 format. I enjoy the process too much, it's one of the main reason why I go to the mountains. There is definitely a limit, beyond which I'd just bring a small camera or even just my GoPro and not focus too much on photography as an art form.

Haven't read most of this thread so apologies if this is redundant or just so way off base:

Mountaineering . . I understand that term to mean extreme backpacking. .What about a Wanderlust TravelWide and maybe a very small table-top tripod or a monopod?

Light weight and simple.
    Last edited by Drew Bedo; 30-Jun-2017 at 07:00.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

When I saw "4 by 5 tripod for mountaineering", my first thought was "huh?" Then I looked at Patrick's website photos, and realized that my own definition for mountaineering is different, or at least I was assuming modest climbing on steep, exposed rock, snow and maybe ice would be involved, and speed would be of the essence (like no time for any sort of photography except quick hand-helds, and no hauling of packs up steep chimneys, etc.).

Of course this thread involves tripods, but still, my main point is that a tripod is not a good idea in steep mountain terrain, with any sort of camera.
    I agree with you completely. Mine was the first response to this thread, and the first thing I asked was, "It all depends on how you define "mountaineering". For some reason, I couldn't even get a half-hearted or half-baked definition. The simplest, of course, is "someone who ascends mountains" -- something many (probably most?) LF users don't do. But that definition can mean anything from climbing 1,778' Mullaghcarn Mt. in Ireland to Mt. Everest. Add in steep, exposed rock, off-trail, snow, ice, wind, whatever you want to the definition. Each element, including distance and time, impact what equipmet, including the tripod, you will/can bring. I've done all of that (OK, not Mullaghcarn Mt. or Mt. Everest), many times in different combinations, with a 4x5 and don't call myself a "mountaineer", "alpinist", or whatever term seems "sexy" or "macho". Someone who takes an extended trek down the North Bass "trail" into the Grand Caynon in 90 degree heat with a LF camera -- besides being crazy -- would probably not call themselves a "mountaineer" but would have many more issues than another shutterbug on the same day, calling themselves a "mountaineer", taking a day hike up 14,000', snow-covered Mt. Sherman in Colorado (and starting at 13,000').

This is pretty hostile xkaes. You must recognize how your language here is directed at me personally. So far throughout this thread you've referred to me as a "glorifier', not even "half-hearted" or "half-baked", as trying to be "macho", "sexy", or a "mountaineer". I don't understand why exactly, but maybe because you took offense to me not answering your question? I qualified my desire for a tripod with an activity, provided a straight-forward list of criteria for a tripod that would meet my needs, and requested fellow users to offer up tripod suggestions based on those criteria. That was the intended purpose of this tread, and it was a success evidenced by the numerous users who offered suggestions, eventually leading to me purchasing a tripod I feel is suitable.

Debating semantics was not necessary. Neither was the name calling or personal attacks. There are many other venues in which we can share our experiences and journeys through photography, and I would like to hear more about yours, but please don't take offense to me trying to narrow the scope of this thread to its intended purpose.

I don't see how my simple question requesting a definition of the topic can somehow be seen as hostile. I'm afraid to ask you how you define "hostile". I didn't call you anything. You are the one who called yourself a "mountaineer" -- whatever that means to you. I offered my suggestions based on the nebulous non-definition that I received. You can call yourself whatever you want, but I'm obviously not the only one who was confused by your "as-yet-undefined" term.

I appreciate that interpreting online writing is rife with misconceptions about the writers intent. So perhaps your comments were not meant to be snide. I also recognize that the anonymity allotted to us online can allow us all behave more heatedly than we would face-to-face. Thus, I extended an olive branch requesting that you recognize your comments can be perceived as being directed at me personally. Regrettably, you chose not to respond in kind. There appears to be a canyon separating our understandings here. Perhaps there will be a bridge along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    I don't see how my simple question requesting a definition of the topic can somehow be seen as hostile.
    Your question was not hostile, your snide comments were.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    You are the one who called yourself a "mountaineer" -- whatever that means to you.
    You assume because I enjoy an activity that I would label myself as such. I enjoy cooking, but do not call myself a cook. I enjoy photography, but do not call myself a photographer. I plan to enjoy the occasional mountaineering outing, but do not, and did not, call myself a mountaineer. You have snidely labelled me as such, among other things.

This is supposed to be a positive space, but unfortunately now this thread is contaminated with negativity. I would respectfully ask that you do not contribute more negativity to this thread.

Proving what I always say, "You can't talk about photography without being negative".

Ta-MAY-tow Ta-MAH-tow . A rose by any other name still gets you above tree line and into the snow.

.What difference does it make in the end if it gets you that knock-out image?

Only the sweat equity gets you the view.

Remember that Doc Brown said, "Crampons? Where we're going we don't need crampons!". . . .or something like that.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

"Badges? Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"

http://instagram.com/abgefackt Arkasha_from_Russia's Avatar

For M300 you do use Gitzo 3 series systematic!
    @shlein_filmphotography